When Beth was interviewed at RNIB College Loughborough, she said that she would like to work in an office.
An interview was arranged at EMH Homes in Coalville in their customer experience team. After a successful interview in June, Beth was invited to shadow for a day when she learnt about the role. She undertook a placement for a week in July, receiving calls from tenants and dealing with their repair requests.
Beth started a further six week placement in the college marketing department, where she and a fellow student contacted potential referral bodies within the East Midlands. This entailed:
- Researching potential stake holders and building a spreadsheet of contacts
- Calling contacts, giving a brief description of the College and determining the best promotional materials to send across
- Gathering promotions materials together and posting packs to the contact obtained
- Following up with a courtesy phone call
Upon completion of her programme, Beth secured a full time apprenticeship at EMH Homes where she had been on work placement, to start in October. To support this Beth was advised to:
- Contact her Disability Employment Advisor and inform them of her employment
- Apply for working tax credits
- Contact Access to Work for an assessment
- Volunteer at EMH until her employment begins, in order to increase her knowledge of their procedures.