Natspec has collated these resources to support members and the wider sector to continuously improve the quality of further education for students with learning difficulties and / or disabilities.
Table of contents
Key inspection documents
- education provision is inspected by Ofsted under the Education and Inspection Framework, using the FE and Skills Inspection Handbook
- residential colleges offering regulated activities are inspected by CQC, using the Key Lines of Enquiry for Adult Social Care Services
- residential provision for 16-18 year olds offered by colleges who are NOT inspected by CQC is inspected by Ofsted under the Social Care Common Inspection Framework.
- education provision is inspected by Estyn under the common inspection framework, using the guidance handbook for the inspection of independent specialist colleges
- residential colleges offering regulated services are inspected by CIW using the code of practice for inspection.
Natspec collates and analyses findings from the Ofsted inspection reports of members on a termly basis.
Natspec has created a set of questions and an accompanying self-audit tool to support newer colleges to reflect on the quality of their provision and identify ways to improve.
Natspec publishes Quality Times twice a year. It is focused on quality improvement across the breadth of specialist college provision and features articles written by members, partners and staff in the Natspec team.
- Quality Times Issue 6 – January 2022
- Quality Times Issue 5 – June 2021
- Quality Times Issue 4 – January 2020
- Quality Times Issue 3 – June 2019
The RARPA Guide
The Education and Training Foundation commissioned Natspec to produce a comprehensive guide to the use of RARPA with students with SEND. It explains what effective practice looks like at each of the five stages and suggests some robust quality assurance measures to use at each stage. The guide clarifies the links between RARPA, EHC Plans, and Ofsted’s Education and Inspection Framework.
Further resources are available on our dedicated RARPA resources page.
Provision for learners with profound and multiple learning difficulties
Guidance including a self-assessment framework for providers offering or setting up provision for learners with profound and multiple learning difficulties (PMLD). Commissioned from Natspec by the ETF, it can be used to support the quality assurance of PMLD provision.