- This event has passed.
If you book onto this session, please also ensure you book onto session two and are available for both.
This interactive, online training is for quality managers or managers with responsibility for the quality of SEND or ALS/ALN provision. Unlike other training on this topic, this course focusses specifically on post-16 provision for learners with SEND.
Effective observation of teaching, learning, assessment and support is an important component of a robust quality assurance cycle. The course will examine what is involved in the observation process and the part it can play in quality assurance and improvement activities. Please note, this course is not suitable for staff new to carrying out observations.
The course is delivered online over two sessions on separate dates, to allow delegates to carry out a lesson observation – or similar activity – in the intervening period. The course includes viewing video material filmed specifically for this training.
The aim of the course is to increase your confidence and effectiveness and provide you with the tools to improve staff performance and the learner experience. The training will support you to:
- know how to best conduct observations to gain maximum benefit
- understand what areas to look for to get the bigger picture
- consider the potential lines of enquiry to follow
- formulate the questions to ask staff and learners
- produce and provide evaluative feedback
- target SMART improvement actions.
This course consists of two sessions:
Session one (2 February):
- preparation, getting ready to observe
- areas to focus on when observing learners with SEND
- recording evidence
- observing a lesson – viewing of video 1
- observation in different learning contexts
- observations and the Ofsted deep dive approach.
Session two (2 March):
- reflections on observations
- how to give feedback
- observing a lesson – viewing of video 2
- quality assurance/quality improvement and observation of teaching, learning, assessment and support
- moderation of the observation of teaching, learning, assessment and support.
The training will be delivered by a specialist with many years of experience in conducting OTLAS and driving quality improvement. You will also have the opportunity to share your experience and learning with colleagues in similar roles.
The below cost is for each attendee. All attendees need to register separately.
This cost covers the whole course (two sessions) but you must register separately for both sessions.
- Natspec members £75 +VAT
- Transform members £125 +VAT
- Non-members £150 +VAT
Invoices will be issued, according to the cost above, after both sessions are complete.
This training is also available as an in-house programme. For further information please complete our Transform Expression of Interest form.
Details of other training courses offered by Natspec Transform can be found on our website.
Book your place
Registration is now closed.
If you find that you cannot attend, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know as soon as possible so that we can make the space available for others.
If you are interested in attending this training on a different date, additional dates are available on the course page.