This interactive, online training is for quality managers or managers with responsibility for the quality of SEND or ALS/ALN provision. Unlike other training on this topic, this course focusses specifically on post-16 provision for learners with SEND.
Effective observation of teaching, learning, assessment and support is an important component of a robust quality assurance cycle. The course will examine what is involved in the observation process and the part it can play in quality assurance and improvement activities. Please note, this course is not suitable for staff new to carrying out observations.
The course is delivered online over two sessions on separate dates, to allow delegates to carry out a lesson observation – or similar activity – in the intervening period. The course includes viewing video material filmed specifically for this training.
The aim of the course is to increase your confidence and effectiveness and provide you with the tools to improve staff performance and the learner experience. The training will support you to:
- know how to best conduct observations to gain maximum benefit
- understand what areas to look for to get the bigger picture
- consider the potential lines of enquiry to follow
- formulate the questions to ask staff and learners
- produce and provide evaluative feedback
- target SMART improvement actions.
This course consists of two sessions, typically delivered three weeks apart.
- preparation, getting ready to observe
- areas to focus on when observing learners with SEND
- recording evidence
- observing a lesson – viewing of video 1
- observation in different learning contexts
- observations and the Ofsted deep dive approach.
- reflections on observations
- how to give feedback
- observing a lesson – viewing of video 2
- quality assurance/quality improvement and observation of teaching, learning, assessment and support
- moderation of the observation of teaching, learning, assessment and support.
Monitoring the quality of teaching, learning, assessment and support for learners with SEND (session two)7 June 2022
An effective observation process is crucial to ensure high-quality provision for learners. This interactive, two-part online training is for staff involved in the observation of teaching, learning, assessment and support (OTLAS).
No upcoming dates? If you would like to be informed of new dates for this course, please sign up to our Transform mailing list.
This course is available to be delivered as an in-house training for your team/organisation.
You can request in-house training for your team/organisation through our expression of interest form.