An effective observation process is crucial to ensure high-quality provision for learners. This interactive, two-part online training is for staff involved in the observation of teaching, learning, assessment and support (OTLAS). Unlike other training on this topic, this focusses specifically on post-16 provision for learners with SEND, and staff who have responsibility for the quality of SEND provision.
This course is for quality managers, managers with responsibility for SEND provision and/or ALS, and staff who undertake observation of teaching, learning, assessment and support. It will be delivered over two online sessions, on separate dates, to allow delegates to carry out a lesson observation – or similar activity – in the intervening period. The course includes viewing video material filmed specifically for this training.
The aim of the course is to increase your confidence and effectiveness and provide you with the tools to improve staff performance and the learner experience. The training will support you to:
- know how to best conduct observations to gain maximum benefit
- understand what areas to look for to get the ‘bigger picture’
- consider the potential lines of enquiry to follow
- formulate the questions to ask staff and learners
- produce and provide evaluative feedback
- target smart improvement actions.
This course consists of two sessions, typically delivered three weeks apart.
- preparation, getting ready to observe
- areas to focus on when observing learners with SEND
- recording evidence
- observing a lesson – viewing of video 1
- observation in different learning contexts
- observations and the Ofsted deep dive approach.
- reflections on observations
- how to give feedback
- observing a lesson – viewing of video 2
- quality assurance/quality improvement and observation of teaching, learning, assessment and support
- moderation of the observation of teaching, learning, assessment and support.
The workshop is available as an external training session or can be delivered in-house for an individual provider.
You can request this workshop as it suits you through our expression of interest form. Alternatively, you can call the office on 0115 854 1322.share this page: