- This event has passed.
An effective observation process is crucial to ensure high-quality provision for learners. This interactive, two-part online training is for staff involved in the observation of teaching, learning, assessment and support (OTLAS). Unlike other training on this topic, this focusses specifically on post-16 provision for learners with SEND, and staff who have responsibility for the quality of SEND provision.
This course is for quality managers, managers with responsibility for SEND provision and/or ALS, and staff who undertake observation of teaching, learning, assessment and support. It will be delivered over two online sessions, on separate dates, to allow delegates to carry out a lesson observation – or similar activity – in the intervening period. The course includes viewing video material filmed specifically for this training.
The aim of the course is to increase your confidence and effectiveness and provide you with the tools to improve staff performance and the learner experience. The training will support you to:
- know how to best conduct observations to gain maximum benefit
- understand what areas to look for to get the ‘bigger picture’
- consider the potential lines of enquiry to follow
- formulate the questions to ask staff and learners
- produce and provide evaluative feedback
- target smart improvement actions.
Session one (14 January):
- preparation, getting ready to observe
- areas to focus on when observing learners with SEND
- recording evidence
- observing a lesson – viewing of video 1
- observation in different learning contexts
- observations and the Ofsted deep dive approach.
Session two (4 February):
- reflections on observations
- how to give feedback
- observing a lesson – viewing of video 2
- quality assurance/quality improvement and observation of teaching, learning, assessment and support
- moderation of the observation of teaching, learning, assessment and support.
The training will be delivered by a specialist with many years of experience in conducting OTLAS and driving quality improvement. You will also have the opportunity to share your experience and learning with colleagues in similar roles.
This cost covers the whole course (two sessions). You will be invoiced once, according to the cost below, after both sessions are complete.
- Natspec members £60 +VAT
- Transform members £100 +VAT
- Non-members £120 +VAT
This training is also available as an in-house programme. For further information please complete our Transform Expression of Interest form.
Book your place
This course is now full.
More dates for this popular course will be announced soon. If you would like to know as soon as they are announced, please fill out our Transform Expression of Interest form.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email from Zoom containing information about joining the meeting. Please keep this accessible and check your spam folder before contacting firstname.lastname@example.org with any issues.
If you are unfamiliar with Zoom or wish to test your system is compatible, please use the test meeting facility
If you’re interested in having this as in-house training, please complete our Transform Expression of Interest form.