Job title: Instructor – Henshaws, Harrogate
Salary: 21,316.88 to 25,528.26
Hours: Full Time
Main geographical location of role: Harrogate
Closing date: 8 December 2023
Where do applicants need to apply (preferred option): https://www.henshaws.org.uk/careers/current-vacancies/
Henshaws is a northern charity supporting people living with sight loss and a range of other disabilities to go beyond expectations. We believe that, wherever they are, everyone has the right to an independent and fulfilling life. Our support, advice and training enables people and their families build skills, develop confidence, help each other and look forward to a more positive future.
We are now looking to appoint Instructors to join our team, based in Henshaws College in Harrogate working term time only who are passionate about teaching our students the skills to achieve their full potential and develop their independence. Henshaws will pay to put successful candidates through their Level 5 teaching qualification if they are not already qualified enabling you to teach and learn at the same time.
Salary for Qualified: £14.73ph -£25,528.26per annum
Salary for Unqualified: £12.30ph- £21,316.88per annum
Weeks per Year: 40
Key responsibilities will include:
- Deliver teaching & learning (up to 24 hours guided learning hours per week with students, with the support of Student Support Workers) and assess student attainment of both accredited and non-accredited units as appropriate; meeting the requirements of the College policies and procedures and awarding body guidelines.
- Regularly assess, record and report on the progress and achievement of students, providing regular contributions to student review reports and Quality of Life meetings. Identify students ‘at risk’ of not achieving and support planning to mitigate any risks.
- Produce schemes of work and session plans that link to the agreed annual timetable, and in-year revisions, supported and mentored by Programme Lead.
- Liaise with and ensure effective communication with education, therapy, clinical and care staff to support the success of the students to achieve their outcomes.
- To uphold Henshaws values of Informed, Sharing, Proactive, Inspiring, Compassionate and Empowering.
Education & Training
A Level 5 Teaching qualification or be willing to complete this qualification in an agreed timeframe. Level 2 qualification in Maths and English (i.e. GCSE grade A*-C) or equivalent qualification.
Skills and Experience
Experience of working in further education and/or SEN environment, teaching small groups of students including directing support staff.
General & Specialist Knowledge
Previous experience of working in the SEN sector and understanding the needs of students with learning difficulties and/or disabilities.
Commitment and enthusiasm to work with young people to encourage learning and independence.
Henshaws Society for Blind People aims to employ a diverse workforce and is committed to equality of employment and welcomes applications from all sectors of the community.
Henshaws is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and vulnerable adults. It is a criminal offence for people barred from working in regulated activity to apply for roles that require them to work unsupervised with that particular group e.g. vulnerable adults, children or both. An Enhanced DBS with barring and reference checks will be sought from the successful candidate.
Henshaws reserves the right to check social media accounts of all successful applicants. For more information, please contact the HR department on 01423 814510.
Registered Charity No: 221888
Members only content
This content is for Natspec members only. Please log in to access it.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.