Address:The Hive College (WSUCBPT)
Perry Common Road
19 – 25
- Telephone Number: 0121 306 4800
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://www.wsucbpt.co.uk
LIVE @ the Hive study programme provides a vocational curriculum designed to support students into employment and promote their independence and well-being.
STRIVE @ the Hive study programme provides a sensory curriculum for students with profound and multiple learning difficulties. It is designed to provide students and their families the independence and confidence they need to participate in the wider community and support them with their transition into adult life
THRIVE @ the Hive study programme provides a vocational curriculum designed to support students into supported employment/ volunteering roles. An additional pathway on the THRIVE study programme offers a communication focused curriculum designed to improve individual communication skills, encourage students to participate in the wider community and support them with their transition into adult life.
We are a regional provider accepting learners from in and aorund the Birmingham Local Authority.
The main focus of the LIVE study programme curriculum is work placements which students participate in on a weekly basis. This progresses on to supported internships and eventually paid employment. Students study Workskills as their main qualification at Entry 3 and level 1 . Units reflect preparation for the workplace and evidence generated in the workplace forms part of the assessment. The LIVE curriculum also includes Maths, English and ICT and Independent Living Skills.
The STRIVE study programme focuses on preparing students for adult life. The sensory based curriculum consists of lessons in cognition and communication, self-help and independence and creative sensory sessions. The curriculum also allows students to participate in community visits and offers swiming, hydrotherapy, physiotherapy, aromatherapy and music therapy.
The THRIVE curriculum focuses on Skills for Independence and Work and Personal Progress. Maths and English are also part of the curriculum along with Health and Well-being. Students participate in volunteering activities or community visits to prepare them for adult life.
Our college has adapted classrooms and specialist bath rooming facilities. There are full time nurses along with male and female care assistants and all the required medical resources are in place. Class numbers are small allowing for a very high student / teaching assistant ratio. All resources for learning are in place such as specialised classroom furniture, an outdoor sensory garden, teaching resources and trained staff to work with students with physical and learning disabilities and with visually and hearing impaired students.
The college has excellent employer links and links with other community providers to facilitate transition into adulthood for all our learners.
> Our expertise
We have expertise in meeting the needs of students with:
- A wide range of physical disabilities
- Moderate learning difficulties
- Profound and multiple learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students who are blind or visually impaired
- Expertise in meeting the needs of d/Deaf students
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students who have specific learning difficulties
- Communication difficulties
- Autism spectrum disorder
> Our curriculum
- Opportunities to follow vocational courses
- A personal development programme
- A social skills programme
- Opportunities for students to participate in community activities and to learn about citizenship
- A programme to help students to look after themselves more independently
- Opportunities to prepare for work after college
- Opportunities to improve literacy, numeracy and/or communication skills
- Opportunities to experiment with sound, touch, smell and sight in order to aid learning
> Our specialist services
- Extensive use of assistive and adaptive technologies
- A range of therapeutic services
- Sessions to improve posture and mobility
- Specialist staff to meet personal care requirements
- In-house nursing services