Address:LEAP College (Wargrave House)
449 Wargrave Road
Residential and day
19 – 25
- Telephone Number: 01925224899
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.wargravehouse.com
Wargrave House LEAP is situated in the market town of Newton-le-Willows, Merseyside. Each student follows a structured and personalised programme to prompte independence, functional life skills and occupational learning and develop a sense of well-being, emotional understanding and healthy lifestyles. Key elements include an autism specific focus with integrated specialist speech and language and occupational therapy, support for behaviour and inclusive experiences within an holistic 24/7 curriculum.
We are a regional provider accepting learners from across the North West.
Our curricula are underpinned by a 4 Pillar Model:
The Foundation Curriculum 4 Pillars are: Self Help and Independence, Communication, Physical Skills and Cognition.
The Main Frame Curriculum 4 pillars are: Cognition and Learning, Vocational and Employability Skills, Independence and Community participation, Social Understanding and Relationship.
We offer a range of student centred accredited and non accredited educational pathways between Entry 1 and Level 2.
Wargrave House multi-disciplinary team has particular expertise in supporting social communication, sensory integration, behaviour and emotional needs within a QCF accredited 'Preparation for Adulthood' focused curriculum. Core skills (maths, English and ICT) are intergrated into individual learning plans and strong links with local and national employers ensure all students particpate in challenging work activities linked to their future aspirations. Education and care services are supported in-house by a large specialist therapy team (speech and language and occupational therapy). Medical needs are supported by our registered Learning Disabilities nurse.
We offer an autism-specific and therapeutic environment, providing Specialist Speech and Language Therapy and Occupational Therapy (including Sensory Integration). Our highly trained staff have relevant qualifications to provide support for, and understanding of, the complex needs of learners with ASD. They use recognised strategies to support behaviour, structure the environment (TEACCH), and provide assistive augmentative communication strategies (such as PECS, communicaiton aids), assess sensory needs and functional communication. Health support is provided by an on-site registered Learning Disability nurse.
Students collaborate with local community groups to support development of wider skills and knowledge.The students from LEAP College gain valuable team building and problem solving skills working alongside adults in general daily life and community situations which help develop their confidence and social interaction abilities whilst contributing to enhancing real local environmental projects.
> Our expertise
We have expertise in meeting the needs of students with:
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Severe autism spectrum disorder
- Asperger syndrome
- Autism spectrum disorder with associated challenging behaviour
> Our curriculum
- Opportunities to follow vocational courses
- Opportunities to follow vocational qualifications
- Opportunities for students to participate in community activities and to learn about citizenship
- A programme to help students to look after themselves more independently
- Opportunities to attend local further education colleges with support
- Opportunities to experience real work situations
- Opportunities for work experience
- Opportunities to use and develop information technology skills
- Opportunities to develop strategies to promote appropriate behaviour
- Opportunities to take part in a wide range of social, leisure and sporting activities
> Our specialist services
- In-house speech and language therapy
- In-house occupational therapy
- Waking night residential staff
- Registered with the Care Quality Commission / Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales
- In-house nursing services
- Residential provision linked to the academic year