Address:The Orpheus Centre
North Park Lane
38 weeks per year
- Residential or
Residential and day
September to July
- Maximum Number of
18 - 25 years
Godstone, Oxted, Redhill, Reigate, Caterham
- Telephone Number: 01883 744664
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.orpheus.org.uk
Orpheus is a specialist college for young disabled adults (18-25) with a passion for the arts and a desire to live independently. Our students have a range of physical disabilities, learning difficulties and autism.
We offer a learning programme, a supported housing scheme and a domiciliary care service. We work closely with each of our students over the three-year programme to enable them to transition successfully from full time education into adult life, independent living and work.
Our students get fully involved in devising and performing in regular large-scale productions.
We offer a range of subjects including: functional skills (maths, English and IT), dance, drama, music, art and design, film-making, creative writing, life skills and horticulture. We offer accredited qualifications as well as bespoke programmes in order to be responsive to students' needs. We offer a comprehensive transition programme to prepare students to live independently once they leave Orpheus.
There is a robust tutorial programme for all students that addresses areas of concern and current affairs as well as providing a forum for discussion about student issues, and 1:1 tutorials for checking progress, setting targets and monitoring student welfare.
Orpheus is located in beautiful Surrey countryside close to the village of Godstone. All amenities are within a short distance of Orpheus such as supermarkets, leisure centre and doctors’ surgeries. The college is set in spacious grounds which students are encouraged to use via our accessible pathways. We support healthy living and offer a range of indoor and outdoor sports activities.
We have excellent facilities including a fully equipped theatre. A multi-media suite is available for podcasting and film making. In addition to a recording studio and well equipped art studio there are two computer suites used for teaching and independent learning.
> Our expertise
We have expertise in meeting the needs of students with:
- A wide range of physical disabilities
- Moderate learning difficulties
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Asperger syndrome
> Our curriculum
- A transition programme into independent living
- A performing arts curriculum
- Opportunities to improve literacy, numeracy and/or communication skills
- Opportunities for work experience
- A personal development programme
- Opportunities to prepare for work after college
- A programme to help students to look after themselves more independently
- Opportunities to explore a range of living options after college
> Our specialist services
- Registered with the Care Quality Commission / Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales
- Residential provision extending beyond the academic year
- Specialist staff to meet personal care requirements
- Waking night residential staff
- Help with finding suitable long term provision
- Specialist training to enable independent travel
- Guidance and counselling services