Unit 7, The IMEX Technology Park, Bellringer Road
Bellringer Road, Trentham Lakes South,
Stoke on Trent
Residential and day
16 – 25
- Telephone Number: 01782 647380
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: https://www.priorychildrensservices.co.uk/find-a-location/strathmore-college-stoke-on-trent/
Strathmore College in Stoke on Trent is an independent, specialist residential and day college providing individualised programmes for young people aged 16-25 years.
Learners' needs range from mild to severe learning difficulties/disabilities and learners with an autistic spectrum condition, emotional and social behaviour issues, Down's syndrome and speech and language difficulties, coupled with other health related mental or physical difficulties.
We are a national provider, accepting learners from across the UK.
Strathmore College always aims to deliver outstanding outcomes for all learners, providing innovative learning experiences, highly personalised support and individualised programmes of learning delivered in safe and creative learning environments.
Our approach enables young people to develop the confidence and skills they need to progress towards adulthood learning to manage their anxieties, build resilience to cope day to day.
All programmes are designed to focus on the learner's priorities identified under Preparation for Adulthood and links to their Education and Health Care Plan. We aim to enhance their skills and abilities to take them into the next stage of their lives.
Learning takes place in realistic and meaningful, practical work-based activities, linked with external exmployers. Young people are supported to gain vocational qualifications to support their progression and next steps.
Communication, English and maths are developed throughout the young person's programme and where appropriate leads to qualifications.
We have strong established partnerships with other providers to deliver highly meaningful community based activities that enable our learners to engage and progress well.
We work closely with local employers to provide our learners with a manageable pathway into the world of work.
A person centred approach is taken to supporting learners, through a multi disciplinary approach of Psychology, Speech and Language, Occupational Therapy and counselling.
Learners are provided with support that enables them to engage in learning. Changes in need are responded to swiflty to ensure aspirational, positive outcomes are met.
Behavioural Support Plans are developed to support learners and progress made evidenced.
> Our expertise
We have expertise in meeting the needs of students with:
- Moderate learning difficulties
- Severe learning difficulties
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Severe autism spectrum disorder
- Autism spectrum disorder with associated challenging behaviour
- Behavioural difficulties
- Communication difficulties
- Mental health needs
- Multi-sensory impairment
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students who have been affected by abuse or personal trauma
- Emotional difficulties
> Our curriculum
- A personal development programme
- A social skills programme
- Opportunities to follow vocational courses
- A programme to help students to look after themselves more independently
- Opportunities to prepare for work after college
- Opportunities to experience real work situations
- Opportunities to attend local further education colleges with support
- Opportunities for students to participate in community activities and to learn about citizenship
- Opportunities for work experience
- Opportunities to develop strategies to promote appropriate behaviour
- A transition programme into supported or open employment
- Opportunities to improve literacy, numeracy and/or communication skills
- A transition programme into independent living
- Opportunities to take part in a wide range of social, leisure and sporting activities
- Opportunities to improve and develop communication skills through the use of Alternative and Augmentative Communication aids
> Our specialist services
- In-house speech and language therapy
- In-house psychology services
- A range of therapeutic services
- Waking night residential staff
- Registered with the Care Quality Commission / Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales
- Residential provision extending beyond the academic year
- Help with finding suitable long term provision
- Specialist training to enable independent travel
- Residential provision linked to the academic year