Address:St John’s School & College
17 Walpole Road
38 weeks per year
- Residential or
Residential and day
Our courses are run throughout the year
- Maximum Number of
16 - 25 years
- Telephone Number: 01273 244000
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.st-johns.co.uk
St. John’s is an independent specialist college, working with learners who have complex learning disabilities; including some learners who may have difficulties resulting from behavioural, emotional and social difficulties, Autistic Spectrum Conditions, Asperger’s Syndrome and Pathological Demand Avoidance Syndrome.
St. John’s is a place where learning is shaped around your hopes and aspirations; where our courses are tailored to meet your goals and where you are supported by a highly skilled staff team who respect your choices and lifestyle.
Our innovative curriculum provides a full range of exciting, challenging and meaningful learning experiences (both accredited and non-accredited) that prepare each learner with relevant vocational and personal skills that will significantly impact on their future lives.
Our focus on vocational skills is carried out through real, work-based learning, which allows our learners to work within and support the services and functions of our organisation, our own enterprises and community work experience placements.
Maths, English, communications and ICT are embedded or are timetabled sessions along with PSHE, sport, termly options and community access.
St. John's learners access a variety of vibrant and age appropriate learning environments that reflect their needs. These include: our café providing real work experience, theatre for performing arts, fully equipped music and recording studio, construction workshop, community printing enterprise, IT and project hub and sensory lounge.
Throughout their journey, learners are supported by our qualified and experienced Wellbeing team, who provide communication therapy, occupational therapy, behaviour support, nursing and counselling.
We have a dedicated transitions team who support learners in visiting potential services for their future lives. The team works closely with the Wellbeing team in preparing learners for life beyond St. John’s.
> Our expertise
We have expertise in meeting the needs of students with:
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Autism spectrum disorder with associated challenging behaviour
- Asperger syndrome
- Severe autism spectrum disorder
- Mental health needs
- Behavioural difficulties
- Severe learning difficulties
- Communication difficulties
> Our curriculum
- Opportunities to experience real work situations
- Opportunities for work experience
- Opportunities to follow vocational courses
- A programme to help students to look after themselves more independently
- Opportunities to improve literacy, numeracy and/or communication skills
- Opportunities to experiment with sound, touch, smell and sight in order to aid learning
- Opportunities to develop strategies to promote appropriate behaviour
- Opportunities to explore a range of living options after college
> Our specialist services
- In-house speech and language therapy
- In-house nursing services
- In-house occupational therapy
- Guidance and counselling services
- Residential provision extending beyond the academic year
- Specialist training to enable independent travel
- Help with finding suitable long term provision
- Registered with the Care Quality Commission / Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales