Address:Royal College Manchester
Residential and day
Courses start primarily in September
19 – 25
- Telephone Number: 0161 610 0741
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.seashelltrust.org.uk/college
Royal College Manchester is an innovative independent specialist FE college based in the Cheshire countryside. We have experience and expertise in supporting children and young people with severe or profound learning difficulties and severe or profound communication difficulties relating to one or more of the following conditions:
- deafblindness/multi-sensory impairments
- hearing impairments
- visual impairments
- profound and multiple learning disabilities
- complex physical disabilities and/or additional medical needs, including degenerative conditions
All students have limited functional communication and, with the support of staff and our total communication approach, learn meaningful and effective communication strategies including speech, sign, Objects of Reference, PECS, intensive interaction and the use of technology to meet their individual needs.
Royal College Manchester is a national provider welcoming learners from across the UK.
Courses are designed to help students develop their independence and self-esteem, learn to communicate effectively and make decisions about their lives. The curriculum includes literacy and numeracy, art, dance and drama, sports and life skills; and embedded therapy programmes help students make the most of their specialist input. Vocational studies include work experience on-site and in the community, horticulture, small animal care, mail collation and office skills, and some students may progress to our Seashell supported internship to prepare for work.
Our multi-disciplinary team includes specialist teachers, trained support staff, an assistive technologist, a job coach and an on-site therapy team with physiotherapy, occupational therapy and speech and language therapy. Students leaving the college continue to be supported by the job coach for six months in order to transition successfully into work.
Our facilities include a hydrotherapy pool and on-site swimming pool, fully accessible sports facilities including a climbing wall and fitness suite, sensory rooms and state-of-the-art homes for residential students. (We offer weekly, termly and 52-week residential placements as well as short breaks.) A family flat is available for all families visiting their son or daughter.
At Seashell Trust our packages of education and care are highly personalised in order to meet the individual needs of children, young people and their families. This includes the services and support we provide via Royal School Manchester, Royal College Manchester, our residential provision or via our outreach services which are delivered in a wide variety of settings locally, regionally and national. Seashell also provides a range of short breaks services including services which support young people on the edge of care. All our services can be delivered by children and young people aged 2 to 25.
> Our expertise
We have expertise in meeting the needs of students with:
- Severe learning difficulties
- Profound and multiple learning difficulties
- Communication difficulties
- Severe autism spectrum disorder
- Autism spectrum disorder with associated challenging behaviour
- Multi-sensory impairment
- A wide range of physical disabilities
> Our curriculum
- Opportunities to improve literacy, numeracy and/or communication skills
- Opportunities to improve communication skills such as the use of Makaton, Bliss, symbols or objects of reference
- Opportunities to improve and develop communication skills through the use of Alternative and Augmentative Communication aids
- A programme to help students to look after themselves more independently
- Opportunities to prepare for work after college
- A transition programme into supported or open employment
- Opportunities for students to participate in community activities and to learn about citizenship
- Opportunities to take part in a wide range of social, leisure and sporting activities
> Our specialist services
- In-house speech and language therapy
- In-house physiotherapy
- In-house occupational therapy
- In-house nursing services
- Registered with the Care Quality Commission / Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales
- Residential provision extending beyond the academic year
- Waking night residential staff
- Extensive use of assistive and adaptive technologies