Address:RNIB College Loughborough
Standard academic term time provision, with summer provisions offered on application
Most of our students start at the beginning of the academic year; however applications are accepted throughout the year
16 - 25 years
- Telephone Number: 01509 611077
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://www.rnibcollege.ac.uk
At RNIB College Loughborough we offer specialist support to people with vision impairment, as well as those with other disabilities.
We’re a small, friendly day and residential college where each staff member wants to empower you to achieve your full potential. We can help you to move on to your next step.
Needs we support
• Vision impairment
• Learning difficulties and disabilities
• Autistic spectrum disorders (ASD)
• Physical disabilities
• Communication difficulties
• Mild hearing problems
• Additional healthcare needs, such as epilepsy
• Additional emotional and behavioural difficulties
RNIB College Loughborough are a national provider, accepting students from across the UK. While the majority of our students are based in the Midlands, thanks to our residential centre we are able to offer learning opportunities to students from much further afield.
Our Further Education (FE) offers you opportunities to:
• develop your independence
• prepare for work, volunteering or training
• build your personal life skills
• learn about looking after yourself
• get out into the local community
• achieve a qualification at Loughborough College.
You can either learn through our enterprise-based programme or study for a mainstream course at Loughborough College, located next door.
Our College enterprises are our student-led businesses where you can do meaningful jobs in real settings:
• Bell Bar café
• conference centre
• eBay shop
• arts centre
• craft studio
• college office.
Our adapted facilities include tactile flooring, an easy to navigate layout, high contrast seating and door frames, and adjustable lighting. We also have personal care rooms with electric ceiling track hoists.
Our specialist resources ensure everyday tasks are accessible and that everyone can get involved. These include low vision resources, RNIB PenFriend audio devices, liquid level indicators, recordable talking objects and signage using symbols, large font, braille and braille technology.
We have a literacy and numeracy teacher, IT tutor, braille tutor and mobility officer who can provide specialist support in these areas, you will also have a dedicated tutor.
RNIB College Loughborough has been working with local and national employers for over 20 years. We currently have over 100 active employer links. This enables us to ensure programmes meet employers' needs and offer a wide range of external work experience.
We have a dedicated employment team who work to develop trainee's and students employment skills, find suitable work placements and support employers during placements. The employment team also offer careers advice and guidance and support in applying for jobs
The employment team work with trainees and students to identify suitable work placements in the local area and adult trainee's home area towards the end of their programme.
Placements include a wide range of industry sectors and are matched to individual skills and interests.
> Our expertise
We have expertise in meeting the needs of students with:
- A wide range of physical disabilities
- Asperger syndrome
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students who are blind or visually impaired
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Severe autism spectrum disorder
- Severe learning difficulties
- Moderate learning difficulties
- Communication difficulties
> Our curriculum
- Opportunities to attend local further education colleges with support
- Comprehensive support in the learning and use of Braille and/or Moon
- A programme to help students to look after themselves more independently
- Opportunities to prepare for work after college
- Opportunities to experience real work situations
- Opportunities to improve literacy, numeracy and/or communication skills
- A transition programme into supported or open employment
- A transition programme into independent living
> Our specialist services
- In-house speech and language therapy
- In-house physiotherapy
- Specialist orientation and mobility training to enable independent travel
- Specialist training to enable independent travel
- Specialist staff to meet personal care requirements
- Waking night residential staff
- Registered with the Care Quality Commission / Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales
- Residential provision linked to the academic year