38 weeks per year
- Residential or
Residential and day
Courses start in September, but enrolment can be throughout the year dependent on individual requirement
- Maximum Number of
16 - 25
Mansfield and Sutton in Ashfield.
- Telephone Number: 01623 499111
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.portland.ac.uk
Portland College is a charitable independent specialist college offering residential and day individual study programmes to young adults with disabilities aged 16+.
We offer education and support for young adults with a range of conditions such as autism, physical and learning disabilities.
We are a national residential college with learners coming to Portland from across the United Kingdom. Portland also has day learners who travel to us from the local area of the East Midlands.
We teach personal progression to all learners, developing their communication and social skills. All learners have work experience opportunities and independence training suited to their ability level and interests.
Depending on your interests you will access one of our vocational study programmes which focus on a wide variety of subjects; within that programme you will then be streamed on an individualised route depending on your assessed level. Functional skills Maths, English and ICT are embedded within a learner’s study programme through bespoke individualised approaches and targets as well as through discrete group sessions.
The Residential Learning Service offers learners a unique inclusive residential learning experience that connects classroom experience with residential life. Learners will enjoy all the usual advantages of living on campus in a residential area with the added benefit of living among a group that shares academic goals and interests.
Portland College offers all round support with superb teaching facilities including multi-sensory suites. Qualified tutors work with on-site speech and language therapists, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, and fully qualified care staff to deliver individual study programmes.
Our fantastic woodland campus, with its farm, coffee shop, horticulture area, and enterprise units offers many in-house opportunities for personal development and 'real life' work experience.
> Our expertise
We have expertise in meeting the needs of students with:
- A wide range of physical disabilities
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Behavioural difficulties
- Autism spectrum disorder with associated challenging behaviour
- Profound and multiple learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of d/Deaf students
- Epilepsy and/or associated neurological conditions
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students who are blind or visually impaired
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students who have specific learning difficulties
- Communication difficulties
- Moderate learning difficulties
- Severe learning difficulties
> Our curriculum
- Opportunities to follow vocational courses
- Opportunities to prepare for work after college
- Opportunities for work experience
- Opportunities to experience real work situations
- Opportunities to take part in a range of business activities
- Opportunities for students to participate in community activities and to learn about citizenship
- A transition programme into supported or open employment
- Opportunities to improve literacy, numeracy and/or communication skills
- Opportunities to take part in a wide range of social, leisure and sporting activities
- Opportunities to improve and develop communication skills through the use of Alternative and Augmentative Communication aids
- A transition programme into independent living
> Our specialist services
- Registered with the Care Quality Commission / Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales
- Residential provision linked to the academic year
- In-house speech and language therapy
- In-house physiotherapy
- In-house occupational therapy
- Specialist training to enable independent travel
- Guidance and counselling services
- Extensive use of assistive and adaptive technologies
- Specialist staff to meet personal care requirements
- Residential provision extending beyond the academic year