- Telephone Number: 01623 499114
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.portland.ac.uk
Portland College is a vibrant national college for people with a wide range of disabilities
38 weeks per year
- Residential or
Residential and day
- Maximum Number of
16 - 25
Portland College is a charitable independent specialist college offering residential and day individual study programmes to young adults with disabilities aged 16+.
We offer education and support for young adults with a range of conditions such as autism, physical and learning disabilities, Prada-Willi and acquired brain injuries.
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with autism spectrum disorder
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with a wide range of physical disabilities
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with acquired brain injury
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with profound and multiple learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with communication difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with Prader-Willi syndrome
We teach personal progression to all learners, developing their communication and social skills. All learners have work experience opportunities suited to their ability level and interests.
Depending on your interests you will access one of our six vocational study programmes which focus on a wide variety of subjects; within that programme you will then be streamed on an individualised route depending on your assessed level. Functional skills Maths, English and ICT are embedded within a learner’s study programme through bespoke individualised approaches and targets as well as through discrete group sessions.
- Opportunities to follow vocational qualifications
- Opportunities to prepare for work after college
- Opportunities for work experience
- Opportunities to take part in a range of business activities
- A transition programme into supported or open employment
- Opportunities to improve literacy, numeracy and/or communication skills
- Opportunities to take part in a wide range of social, leisure and sporting activities
- Opportunities to improve and develop communication skills through the use of Alternative and Augmentative Communication aids
Portland College offers all round support with superb teaching facilities including multi-sensory suites. Qualified teachers work with on-site speech and language therapists, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, nurses and fully qualified care staff to deliver individual study programmes.
Our fantastic woodland campus, with its farm, coffee shop, horticulture area, and enterprise units offers many in-house opportunities for personal development and 'real life' work experience.
- Registered with the Care Quality Commission / Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales
- In-house speech and language therapy
- In-house physiotherapy
- In-house occupational therapy
- In-house medical provision
- Specialist training to enable independent travel
- Guidance and counselling services
- Specialist staff to meet personal care requirements