- Telephone Number: 023 8081 2297
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://www.minsteadtrust.org.uk
Training people with learning disabilities in a beautiful, spacious rural setting in the New Forest
52/49 weeks per year
- Residential or
Residential and day
Course can start any time depending on vacancies
- Maximum Number of
80 day, 10 residential and 4 respite stays
Minstead Trust offers training for greater independence for 18+ year olds with learning disabilities, helping them develop and achieve levels of independence appropriate to their abilities. Our focus is on practical learning through doing.
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with moderate learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with severe learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with epilepsy and/or associated neurological conditions
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with autism spectrum disorder
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students who have specific learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with Asperger syndrome
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with mental health needs
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with acquired brain injury
Residential Based Training for Independence: 10 places.
A safe rural environment supports young adults making the transition from home and college towards independent living. Opportunities for practical application of everyday life skills e.g. personal care, laundry, cooking. We work at the pace of each individual so that they learn the skills they need to move on to supported living.
Respite Stays: 4 places
Overnight/short break respite stays include transition to independence training and access to weekday New Forest Day Opportunities. Based on each individual’s care plan and the outcomes they require from their stay.
New Forest Day Courses (available to residents and weekday respite service-users):
1. Work-based skills: training in practical skills and workplace expectations. Workshop/land-based activities at Minstead Lodge and Furzey Gardens.
2. Health and well-being: physical and creative activities - yoga, dance, ceramics, animal care, art and craft, promoting health and leisure.
3. Life skills: practical training in everyday living skills e.g. cooking skills, transport training, using the internet.
Work experience places
Work experience and volunteering placements at Minstead Trust’s social enterprises at Furzey Gardens and Coffee Shop, Minstead Lodge Conferences (Hospitality training) and in our Rustic Wood Workshop.
- A programme to help students to look after themselves more independently
- A transition programme into independent living
- Opportunities to experience real work situations
- Opportunities for work experience
- A specialised land-based curriculum
- Opportunities to explore a range of living options after college
- Opportunities to prepare for work after college
- Opportunities to improve literacy, numeracy and/or communication skills
Specialist Facilities and Resources:
A beautiful, spacious rural setting in Minstead in the heart of the New Forest, gives people a degree of freedom they do not experience in other settings. Community links with Totton. Our inspirational, highly trained staff are waiting to welcome you and support your next steps to a more independent and fulfilled life.
- Registered with the Care Quality Commission / Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales
- Residential provision extending beyond the academic year
- Specialist training to enable independent travel
- Residential provision linked to the academic year