- Telephone Number: 01793 481493
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://www.horizonscollege.ac.uk
Horizons College is an exciting and unique provision for young adults aged 16-25
39 weeks per year
- Residential or
September to July
- Maximum Number of
16 - 25 years
Horizons College aims to provide a holistic programme of study for young people through challenging, relevant and engaging learning experiences which support individual progression and preparation for adulthood. It is specifically aimed at learners with a range of learning and physical disabilities including those with complex medical and therapeutic needs and/or sensory processing difficulties. Some may have additional complex communication, social and behavioural related needs.
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with a wide range of physical disabilities
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with Asperger syndrome
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with autism spectrum disorder
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with severe autism spectrum disorder
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with autism spectrum disorder with associated challenging behaviour
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with behavioural difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with emotional difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students who have been affected by abuse or personal trauma
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with mental health needs
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with moderate learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with severe learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with profound and multiple learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with epilepsy and/or associated neurological conditions
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with multi-sensory impairment
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students who have specific learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with communication difficulties
We are a regional College accepting learners from Wiltshire, Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire, Hampshire & Berkshire.
The College runs four main courses which are the 2 Year Study Programme, Pathway to Life, Pathway to Employment and Supported Internship. We also have a Learning Mentor Programme Provision which offers bespoke packages tailored to our individual young peoples' needs. Functional skills such as Literacy, Numeracy and ICT are embedded into all lessons and activities ensuring our learners develop these important and relevant transferable skills. All our young people work towards outcomes which are outlined in their EHCPs and My Plans.
The programmes also include the development of vocational skills, life and leisure, personal social development and work and enterprise. The curriculum will also support the development of our core values of independence and interdependence. Underpinning these areas will be the development of key skills such as communication, numeracy and ICT, aimed to promote progression through the Adult Basic Skills Curriculum.
- Opportunities to follow vocational courses
- Opportunities to follow vocational qualifications
- A specialised land-based curriculum
- A personal development programme
- A social skills programme
- A programme to enable students to learn more about themselves and how to form relationships
- Opportunities to take part in a wide range of social, leisure and sporting activities
- A transition programme into supported or open employment
- Opportunities to take part in a range of business activities
- A transition programme into independent living
- Opportunities to experiment with sound, touch, smell and sight in order to aid learning
- Opportunities for students to participate in community activities and to learn about citizenship
- Opportunities to prepare for further training after college
- A programme to help students to look after themselves more independently
- Opportunities to prepare for work after college
- Opportunities to attend local further education colleges with support
- Opportunities to improve communication skills such as the use of Makaton, Bliss, symbols or objects of reference
- Opportunities to improve and develop communication skills through the use of Alternative and Augmentative Communication aids
- Opportunities to experience real work situations
- Opportunities for work experience
- Opportunities to improve literacy, numeracy and/or communication skills
- Opportunities to use and develop information technology skills
- Opportunities to develop strategies to promote appropriate behaviour
Our specialist facilities consist of:
Horizons College, a specialist facility for young adults, where independent living skills are developed. The College is based across two sites, Stratton Road which opened in September 2013 and Headlands which opened in September 2016.
Onsite we have a full therapy team which includes a Speech & Language Therapist, Specialist Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist and a Specialist Nurse.
Uplands Educational Trust (UET) Retail Outlets and Coffee Shops which are run by college learners and provide valuable retail and catering work experience in a real-life and safe environment.
Maryfield is a supported living accommodation for college age learners and is a stepping stone to independent living.
Community Enterprise Centre offers young people the opportunity to gain valuable and meaningful work experience by engaging with the community enterprise and cafe.
UET Farm is our outdoor provision which provides a range of land based and animal care opportunities for learners.
- Extensive use of assistive and adaptive technologies
- In-house speech and language therapy
- A range of therapeutic services
- In-house physiotherapy
- Sessions to improve posture and mobility
- Specialist training to enable independent travel
- Specialist orientation and mobility training to enable independent travel
- Specialist staff to meet personal care requirements
- In-house nursing services
- Help with finding suitable long term provision
- In-house occupational therapy