16 – 25
- Telephone Number: 01793 481493
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.horizonscollege.ac.uk/
Horizons College aims to provide a holistic programme of study for young people through challenging, relevant and engaging learning experiences which support individual progression and preparation for adulthood. It is specifically aimed at learners with a range of learning and physical disabilities including those with complex medical and therapeutic needs and/or sensory processing difficulties. Some may have additional complex communication, social and behavioural related needs.
We are a regional College accepting learners from Wiltshire, Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire, Hampshire & Berkshire.
The College runs four main courses which are the 2 Year Study Programme, Pathway to Life Choices, Pathway to Employment, Pathway to Independence and Supported Internship. We also run a Learning Mentor Programme Provision which offers bespoke packages tailored to our individual young peoples' needs. Functional skills such as Literacy, Numeracy and ICT are embedded into all lessons and activities ensuring our learners develop these important and relevant transferable skills. All our young people work towards outcomes which are outlined in their EHCPs and My Plans.
The programmes also include the development of vocational skills, life and leisure, personal social development and work and enterprise. The curriculum will also support the development of our core values of independence and interdependence. Underpinning these areas will be the development of functional skills such as communication, numeracy and ICT, aimed to promote progression through the Adult Basic Skills Curriculum.
Our specialist facilities consist of:
Horizons College, a specialist facility for young adults, where independent living skills are developed. The College is based across two sites, Stratton Road which opened in September 2013 and Headlands Campus which opened in September 2016.
Onsite we have a full therapy team which includes a Speech & Language Therapist, Specialist Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist and a Specialist Nurse.
Retail Outlets and Coffee Shops which are run by college learners and provide valuable retail and catering work experience in a real-life and safe environment.
Community Enterprise Centre offers young people the opportunity to gain valuable and meaningful work experience by engaging with the community enterprise and cafe.
Farm provision is our outdoor provision which provides a range of land based and animal care opportunities for learners.
> Our expertise
We have expertise in meeting the needs of students with:
- A wide range of physical disabilities
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Severe autism spectrum disorder
- Autism spectrum disorder with associated challenging behaviour
- Behavioural difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students who have been affected by abuse or personal trauma
- Mental health needs
- Moderate learning difficulties
- Severe learning difficulties
- Profound and multiple learning difficulties
- Epilepsy and/or associated neurological conditions
- Multi-sensory impairment
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students who have specific learning difficulties
- Communication difficulties
> Our curriculum
- Opportunities to follow vocational courses
- Opportunities to follow vocational qualifications
- A personal development programme
- A social skills programme
- A specialised land-based curriculum
- A programme to enable students to learn more about themselves and how to form relationships
- Opportunities to take part in a wide range of social, leisure and sporting activities
- A transition programme into supported or open employment
- A transition programme into independent living
- Opportunities to experiment with sound, touch, smell and sight in order to aid learning
- Opportunities for students to participate in community activities and to learn about citizenship
- A programme to help students to look after themselves more independently
- Opportunities to prepare for work after college
- Opportunities to improve communication skills such as the use of Makaton, Bliss, symbols or objects of reference
- Opportunities to improve and develop communication skills through the use of Alternative and Augmentative Communication aids
- Opportunities to experience real work situations
- Opportunities for work experience
- Opportunities to improve literacy, numeracy and/or communication skills
- Opportunities to use and develop information technology skills
- Opportunities to develop strategies to promote appropriate behaviour
> Our specialist services
- Extensive use of assistive and adaptive technologies
- In-house speech and language therapy
- A range of therapeutic services
- In-house physiotherapy
- Sessions to improve posture and mobility
- Specialist training to enable independent travel
- Specialist staff to meet personal care requirements
- In-house nursing services
- In-house occupational therapy