36 weeks per year
- Residential or
Residential and day
Courses start in September
- Maximum Number of
- Telephone Number: 024 7646 1231
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.hereward.ac.uk
A national college for young people with disabilities and additional needs based in Coventry. We offer inclusive provision and specialist facilities for day and residential learners with complex disabilities and learning difficulties.
Our vision is to prepare our learners for the next stage of their lives, providing them with outstanding employability skills and greater control over their future. We have a focus on creating independent individuals who can make more of their own decisions about work education, health and living.
Hereward has a person centred approach which is destination led. Each learner follows a pathway study programme designed to meet their needs and support progression.
English and maths targets are embedded across all curriculum pathways and there is a focus on employability and enterprise. Students are able to access work experience, taster sessions, support and placements related to their programme of study.
Independent living skills are also a core element of the study programmes and include:
- Money management/personal finances
- Mobility, travel training and accessing the community
- Cooking and healthy eating
- Home maintenance
- Domestics (washing and cleaning)
- Assistive technology/environmental controls (as per individual requirements)
- Study skills.
There are a range of onsite therapies and services to suit individual needs including physiotherapy, mentors, job coaches, occupational therapists and speech and language therapists.
Wheelchair, acute injury and support for Orthotics, communicators and other specialist equipment is also available.
A Learning Resource Centre and graphics suite has height adjustable workstations and a comprehensive range of assistive learning technologies.
Learners have access to a wide range of sports and fitness activities with onsite facilities including large sports hall, outdoor multiuse games area and gym.
> Our expertise
We have expertise in meeting the needs of students with:
- Asperger syndrome
- Autism spectrum disorder
- A wide range of physical disabilities
- Behavioural difficulties
- Emotional difficulties
- Profound and multiple learning difficulties
- Communication difficulties
- Epilepsy and/or associated neurological conditions
- Autism spectrum disorder with associated challenging behaviour
- Moderate learning difficulties
> Our curriculum
- A transition programme into independent living
- A transition programme into supported or open employment
- A programme to help students to look after themselves more independently
- Opportunities to improve literacy, numeracy and/or communication skills
- Opportunities to prepare for work after college
- Opportunities for work experience
- Opportunities to develop strategies to promote appropriate behaviour
- Opportunities to take part in a wide range of social, leisure and sporting activities
> Our specialist services
- Residential provision extending beyond the academic year
- In-house speech and language therapy
- In-house physiotherapy
- In-house occupational therapy
- Extensive use of assistive and adaptive technologies
- Registered with the Care Quality Commission / Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales
- In-house nursing services
- Specialist staff to meet personal care requirements