- Telephone Number: 01423 886451
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://www.henshaws.ac.uk
We empower young disabled people to progress and learn to live more independently
37 weeks per year. 52 week placements available
- Residential or
Residential and day
September, January and April. Applications also accepted in-year. Short breaks service available.
- Maximum Number of
47 residential plus 50 day students
16 - 25 years
Henshaws Specialist College is a transformational place. Through our personalised approach to learning and care we empower young disabled people to progress live life the way they want.
We deliver individual study programmes to maximise the progress a young person can make towards a fulfilling adulthood. Whether preparing for employment, making friends or learning to live more independently, we enable our students to make their goals a reality.
Our specialist education, care and therapy teams support students aged 16-25 years with a wide range of disabilities and complex needs. We have a low arousal setting, The Starting Point, for students with autism, dedicated facilities and provision for PMLD students and a growing supported internship programme at both our Harrogate and Bradford sites.
We offer day and residential places as well as part-time programmes from one to four days a week.
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with profound and multiple learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with a wide range of physical disabilities
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with communication difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students who are blind or visually impaired
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with moderate learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with autism spectrum disorder
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with severe learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with epilepsy and/or associated neurological conditions
Our personalised curriculum focuses on a students individual goals and their aspirations after College. We deliver study programmes from Pre-entry to Level 2.
Our programmes are designed to develop independence, employability, personal and social skills. Each programme is designed around a students individual needs to prepare them for life after College.
We support our students to develop their skills through vocational learning both on and off campus and through supported work experience.
- A programme to help students to look after themselves more independently
- Opportunities to improve literacy, numeracy and/or communication skills
- Opportunities to take part in a wide range of social, leisure and sporting activities
- Opportunities for work experience
- A personal development programme
- A programme to enable students to learn more about themselves and how to form relationships
- Opportunities to use and develop information technology skills
- Opportunities to develop strategies to promote appropriate behaviour
We continue to invest in our facilities to create a safe and accessible environment to enable our students to develop transferable skills.
Our Media and IT Centre is home to our IT suite, work and employability centre, commercial print service and recording studios.
Our modern sports facilities include:
- swimming pool
- hydrotherapy pool
- multi-gym with gantry hoist equipment
- sports hall
- steam and sauna rooms.
Specialist therapy, education and sensory support services, including assistive technologies are integral to maximising our students progress.
- In-house speech and language therapy
- Extensive use of assistive and adaptive technologies
- In-house physiotherapy
- Registered with the Care Quality Commission / Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales
- Specialist staff to meet personal care requirements
- In-house occupational therapy
- Specialist orientation and mobility training to enable independent travel
- Residential provision extending beyond the academic year