- Telephone Number: 0191 212 7853
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://college.percyhedley.org.uk/
Offering specialist individual study programmes supported by interdisciplinary team of tutors, therapists and job coaches
38 weeks per year
- Residential or
Residential and day
Full time courses start in September, but can be flexible, part time courses start throughout the year
- Maximum Number of
16 - 25 years
Hedleys College is a high quality specialist further education and training provider for young people with a range of learning difficulties and disabilities who require specialist individual programmes to develop their communication, independence and employability skills to make a successful transition into adulthood within the North East region.
The College site is based at Forest Hall in Newcastle. The College is a part of the wider Percy Hedley Foundation which offerd a range of support for students who attend our provision. This includes access to high quality integrated therapy, social enterprises, Hedleys Employability and Hedleys Sport and leisure facilities. We believe that all students have potential to learn. College mission statement is 'Achieve, Believe, and Succeed'
Students are supported by the Hedleys interdisciplinary team of Therapists, Specialist Learning support Assistants and Tutors. The College works in partnership with a wide range of services, supported employment programmes, General Further Education establishments and volunteering projects to support students into a successful transition.
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with a wide range of physical disabilities
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with communication difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with severe learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with epilepsy and/or associated neurological conditions
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with autism spectrum disorder
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with behavioural difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with profound and multiple learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of d/Deaf students
Specilist learning programmes offered include: Communication & Choices, Towards Independence, Independence & Enterprise, Towards Employability, Foundation for Work, Supported Internships and Individual Bridging Programmes. College offers social and health care and mix funded placements.
All learning programmes are accredited by the National Foundation Learing Framework and external accreditation. Every student has an Individual Learning Plan, a Personal Profile and long term goals linked to their Education, Health and Care Plan which forms their transtion plan. The College offers a wide range of work experience through Hedleys Employability.
- A programme to help students to look after themselves more independently
- Opportunities to prepare for work after college
- A personal development programme
- A programme to enable students to learn more about themselves and how to form relationships
- Opportunities to experience real work situations
- Opportunities to develop strategies to promote appropriate behaviour
- Opportunities to improve and develop communication skills through the use of Alternative and Augmentative Communication aids
- Opportunities to experiment with sound, touch, smell and sight in order to aid learning
The college provides access to other Hedleys specialist facilities - Hydrotherapy and swimming pools, a gym, Rebound Therapy, Hedleys high quality Social Enterprises, Hedleys Employability and Sports Academy. Vocational students access a range of external work experience placements.
- In-house physiotherapy
- In-house speech and language therapy
- In-house occupational therapy
- Specialist staff to meet personal care requirements
- Residential provision extending beyond the academic year
- Registered with the Care Quality Commission / Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales
- Waking night residential staff
- Extensive use of assistive and adaptive technologies