Residential and day
Mainly September but flexible
16 – 25
- Telephone Number: 0191 212 7853
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Website: https://college.percyhedley.org.uk/home/
Hedleys College is a high quality specialist further education and training provider for young people with a range of complex disabilities who require specialist individual programmes to develop their communication, independence and employability skills to make a successful transition into adulthood within the North East region.
The College site is based at Forest Hall in Newcastle. The College is a part of the wider Percy Hedley Foundation which offers a range of support for students who attend our provision. This includes access to high quality integrated therapy, social enterprises, Hedleys Employability and Hedleys Sport and leisure facilities. Our College mission statement is 'Achieve, Believe, and Succeed' and we live by this value everyday.
Students are supported by the Hedleys interdisciplinary team of Therapists, Specialist Learning support Assistants and Tutors. The College works in partnership with a wide range of services, supported employment programmes, General Further Education establishments and volunteering projects to support students into a successful transition.
Based in the North East of England, we are a regional independent specialist provider. Most of our day college students come from the North East region (Newcastle, North Tyneside, South Tyneside, Sunderland, Northumberland, Durham, Gateshead, Middlesbrough, Darlington, Hartlepool, Stockton-on -Tees, Redcar and Cleveland) with some residential learners from Cumbria, North Yorkshire, Leeds, Lincolnshire and Scotland.
Specilist learning programmes offered include: Communication & Choices, Towards Independence, Independence & Enterprise, Towards Employability, Foundation for Work, Supported Internships, Individual Bridging and Bespoke ASD study programmes. College offers education, social care and health mix funded placements.
Every student has an Individual Learning Plan, a Personal Profile and long term goals linked to their Education, Health and Care Plan which forms their transtion plan. The College offers a wide range of work experience through Hedleys Employability.
The college provides access to other Hedleys specialist facilities - Hydrotherapy and swimming pools, a gym, Rebound Therapy, Hedleys high quality Social Enterprises, Hedleys Employability and Sports Academy. Vocational students access a range of external work experience placements.
> Our expertise
We have expertise in meeting the needs of students with:
- A wide range of physical disabilities
- Communication difficulties
- Severe learning difficulties
- Epilepsy and/or associated neurological conditions
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Behavioural difficulties
- Profound and multiple learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of d/Deaf students
> Our curriculum
- A programme to help students to look after themselves more independently
- Opportunities to prepare for work after college
- A personal development programme
- A programme to enable students to learn more about themselves and how to form relationships
- Opportunities to experience real work situations
- Opportunities to develop strategies to promote appropriate behaviour
- Opportunities to improve and develop communication skills through the use of Alternative and Augmentative Communication aids
- Opportunities to experiment with sound, touch, smell and sight in order to aid learning
> Our specialist services
- In-house physiotherapy
- In-house speech and language therapy
- In-house occupational therapy
- Specialist staff to meet personal care requirements
- Residential provision extending beyond the academic year
- Registered with the Care Quality Commission / Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales
- Waking night residential staff
- Extensive use of assistive and adaptive technologies