Address:Great Oaks College
19 – 25
- Telephone Number: 02039629009
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Website: https://greatoakscollege.com/
Great Oaks College is established to provide extended educational opportunities to young adults who have severe learning difficulties in West London. Our educational programmes are designed to prepare students for active lives, increasing the opportunities available to them through increased independence.
At Great Oaks we believe that all of our students are capable of making outstanding progress and of becoming more active members of their community. We deliver highly individual programmes of education precisely tailored to their individual learning styles, needs and interests.
Our Vocational courses two year courses for people who have decided to pursue employment when they leave education at the end of the course. They have already tried arange of roles through vocational training and work experience and need to develop skills in their chosen career area.
Life Skills is a two year course for young people need to remain in education to develop skills for adult life. Students will work within their ability to become as independent as possible in everyday tasks and in accessing community facilities. Some young people may take part in vocational tasting programme if appropriate.
Independent Living Skills is a two year course for young people need to remain in education to develop skills for adult life. Students will work within their ability to become as independent as possible in everyday tasks and in accessing community facilities. Some young people may take part in vocational tasting programme if appropriate.
Great Oaks multisensory programmes are designed specifically to meet the educational needs to young adults who have profound and multiple learning difficulties.
Students on four days per week courses may like to add an enrichment day to their week. Enrichment Days are designed to provide a choice of enjoyable sports and creative activities and are aimed at encouraging our students to remain fit and active for their adult lives.
Great Oaks College was opened in September 2018 in purpose built accommodation on our new site at Gresham Road, Hounslow offering a range of Further Education opportunities to young people aged 19-25 with moderate, severe or profound and multiple learning difficulties, including autistic students.
We can offer excellent vocational, educational, sensory and sports facilities and education delivered by our highly skilled staff team. supported by a range of qualified therapists and health professionals as indicated in their Education Healthcare plan, and our assessment of their needs.
> Our expertise
We have expertise in meeting the needs of students with:
- A wide range of physical disabilities
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Severe learning difficulties
- Profound and multiple learning difficulties
- Moderate learning difficulties
- Epilepsy and/or associated neurological conditions
- Multi-sensory impairment
- Communication difficulties
> Our curriculum
- Opportunities to follow vocational courses
- Opportunities to follow vocational qualifications
- A programme to enable students to learn more about themselves and how to form relationships
- A programme to help students to look after themselves more independently
- Opportunities to experiment with sound, touch, smell and sight in order to aid learning
- Opportunities to improve and develop communication skills through the use of Alternative and Augmentative Communication aids
- Opportunities to improve communication skills such as the use of Makaton, Bliss, symbols or objects of reference
- Opportunities to take part in a wide range of social, leisure and sporting activities
- Opportunities to develop strategies to promote appropriate behaviour
- Opportunities to use and develop information technology skills
- Opportunities to improve literacy, numeracy and/or communication skills
- Opportunities for work experience
- Opportunities to experience real work situations
- Opportunities to prepare for work after college
- Opportunities to explore a range of living options after college
- Opportunities to prepare for further training after college
- A personal development programme
- A social skills programme
- A hospitality and catering curriculum
> Our specialist services
- Extensive use of assistive and adaptive technologies
- In-house physiotherapy
- In-house occupational therapy
- A range of therapeutic services
- In-house speech and language therapy
- Specialist staff to meet personal care requirements
- Specialist training to enable independent travel