Address:Glasshouse College (Including Argent College)
36 or 52
- Residential or
- Maximum Number of
16 - 25
Argent College, Jewellery Quarter, Birmingham.
Glasshouse College (including Argent College) is an independent specialist college for young adults with learning difficulties and behavioural issues. As part of Ruskin Mill Trust, our students receive our unique Practical Skills Therapeutic Education - a craft and land-based curriculum. We aim to teach our young people valuable, transferable life skills and independence, which allows them to access further education, supported living accommodation, and/or work.
Our learners are predominantly aged 16-25.
Our staff body has a wealth of experience of working with young people with learning difficulties, such as autism, ASD, ADHD, ODD, Asperger’s Syndrome, as well as behavioural and mental health issues.
We provide a craft and land-based curriculum, comprising of:
Glasshouse College is set within a renovated former glass factory including an arts complex, state of the art workshops, recreation areas and cafes, providing students with a range of opportunities to work towards educational and vocational outcomes. Nearby Vale Head Farm allows students to learn the fundamentals of biodynamic (organic) ecology, growing fruit and vegetables for the college canteen as well as raising livestock and managing the woodland.
Glasshouse College also operates Argent College based in Birmingham's vibrant Jewellery Quarter. The curriculum at Argent College honours the industrial heritage of its location, providing exceptional learning opportunites in Jewellery, Leatherwork, Candlemaking, Textiles, Horticulture, Music and Drama. In addition, Argent College has an urban rooftop microfarm, a Heritage Hub and the Hive Organic Cafe and Bakery which operates as a Social Enterprise, providing outstanding work experience opportunities for students.
We welcome students for both day and residential placements (36 or 52 weeks). Alongside the Practical Skills Therapeutic Education (PSTE), we also offer students Functional Skills, Speech and Language, and other therapies such as Art, Massage and Counselling. They can also pass units which equate to a BTEC qualification. When ready, students are also able to access work experience opportunities related to their destination goals, as outlined in their Education, Health and Care plans.
> Our expertise
We have expertise in meeting the needs of students with:
- Asperger syndrome
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Severe autism spectrum disorder
- Autism spectrum disorder with associated challenging behaviour
- Behavioural difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students who have been affected by abuse or personal trauma
- Moderate learning difficulties
- Communication difficulties
> Our curriculum
- A personal development programme
- A social skills programme
- Opportunities to explore a range of living options after college
- Opportunities to attend local further education colleges with support
- A programme to help students to look after themselves more independently
- Opportunities for work experience
- Opportunities to develop strategies to promote appropriate behaviour
- Opportunities to improve literacy, numeracy and/or communication skills
> Our specialist services
- Registered with the Care Quality Commission / Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales
- A range of therapeutic services
- In-house speech and language therapy
- Guidance and counselling services
- Specialist training to enable independent travel
- Residential provision extending beyond the academic year
- Waking night residential staff