38 weeks per year
17 – 25
- Telephone Number: 01643 708529
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Website: https://foxesacademy.ac.uk
Foxes Academy is an Ofsted Outstanding specialist college situated in the friendly seaside community of Minehead, Somerset. Our courses are holistic, offering young adults with learning disabilities tuition in hospitality and catering whilst working in a hotel open to the general public. Learners train in independent life skills in beautiful residential accommodation supported by a highly experienced House Team Leader and team.
Foxes Academy exists for its learners. We believe in changing lives and giving our learners the skills and knowledge to shape their own futures.
Foxes Academy won the TES FE Overall Provider of the Year and Specialist College of the year awards in March 2018. Foxes Academy also won the Best Regional Initiative at the Springboard Award for Excellence in November 2017. We are also a Disability Confident Leader, an award which recognises that we are changing perceptions about employing people with disabilities.
Our students come from all over the U.K.
Our curriculum promotes independent life skills and work-related experience that leads towards qualifications which are recognised by employers, along with outstanding outcomes.
- National Vocational Qualifications - Level 1 in Hospitality & Catering
- City & Guilds qualifications in Functional English, Maths and ICT - Entry Level 1 - Level 2
- English Speaking Board – Entry Level 1 - Level 1
- Food Safety in Catering Level 1 or 2
- Pathway to Life - Independent Living Skills
- Pathway to Life - Vocational
- Employability course incorporating City & Guilds 5546 Employability Skills qualification
At Foxes our curriculums are enhanced by a range of learning and development opportunities:
- External work experience placements
- Development of soft skills
- Participation in catering events
- Additional vocational learning opportunities e.g. barista course
- Personal development week workshops
- Duke of Edinburgh
- Learner voice committee
- Careers, Information, Educational Advice and Guidance (enhanced by external partnerships)
- In-house therapists - Speech and Language, Cognitive Behaviour and Occupational Therapy
- E-Safety training
Specialist facilities and resouces include:
- Fully Functioning Hotel
- Real life working envirionment
- Over 50 regional working experience providers
- National partnerships including Hilton Hotels
- Real life home learning environment
- Safe and supportive community
Personal Development, Health and Welfare – We believe that education is not just about acquiring qualifications but also about the development of the whole person. The rich, diverse and ever evolving Personal Development time enables you to choose activities that improve your physical and mental health, well-being and emotional development. The outstanding range has been developed in response to students’ interests to promote individual holistic development.
Student Life is About Having Fun Our priority is to help you to achieve your goals in work and life and have fun while you are a student at Foxes. We do this by giving you as many opportunities as possible to develop your skills and do the things you enjoy.
We organise whole college events including discos, talent competitions and trips out to shows and theme parks. In addition, students can choose which clubs to attend from a huge variety. We also invite specialist trainers to run programmes to develop your confi dence and skills.
Students take great pride in explaining how they gain the skills and knowledge to be responsible and good citizens and how they help the local community.
The finale to the end of the academic year is a spectacular Graduation celebration. Students, family, friends and staff all gather together to recognise outstanding achievements and say farewell to the leavers. This is an emotional day but also a milestone for our young people.
The Student Voice committee meets regularly to plan and organise charitable events. It also reviews all aspects of Foxes to inﬂ uence change and development, and maintain the quality of college life.
> Our expertise
We have expertise in meeting the needs of students with:
- Moderate learning difficulties
- Communication difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students who have specific learning difficulties
- Asperger syndrome
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Severe learning difficulties
- Prader-Willi syndrome
> Our curriculum
- A hospitality and catering curriculum
- Opportunities to follow vocational qualifications
- Opportunities to explore a range of living options after college
- Opportunities to prepare for work after college
- Opportunities to experience real work situations
- Opportunities for work experience
- Opportunities to improve literacy, numeracy and/or communication skills
- Opportunities to follow vocational courses
- Opportunities to use and develop information technology skills
- A transition programme into independent living
- Opportunities to take part in a wide range of social, leisure and sporting activities
> Our specialist services
- Residential provision linked to the academic year
- In-house speech and language therapy
- In-house occupational therapy
- Specialist orientation and mobility training to enable independent travel
- Help with finding suitable long term provision
- Specialist training to enable independent travel
- Waking night residential staff
- Specialist staff to meet personal care requirements