2a Hylton Park Road
- Residential or
Courses start in September but we accept new students throughout the year
- Maximum Number of
- Telephone Number: 0191 5165080
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://www.espa.org.uk/
ESPA College, based in Sunderland, Middlesbrough and Newcastle, provides residential and day education for young people with Autism or Asperger Syndrome.
We are committed to providing a high quality, autism specific educational experience to enable learners to maximise their potential for future life, well-being and work.
We offer a range of teaching strategies to meet the unique needs of learners with autism.
ESPA College – Raising aspirations and improving lives.
We are a national provider and accept residential learners from acroos the UK.
Day learners attend one of our 4 sites from right across the north east of England – including learners who travel from as far as North Yorkshire or Northumbeerland
The curriculum is designed to meet the specific needs, interests and long-term goals of every student – All students follow the College Core Curriculum which focuses on 3 key areas: Social Communication, Emotional Literacy and Behavioural Self Management.
The curriculum also includes Functional Skills – Maths, English and ICT from Entry Level 1 to Level 3.
We also offer a range of accredited and bespoke courses such as the Duke of Edinburgh Award, Creative and Expressive Arts, Media studies, Independence and Leisure Skills. There are also good opportunities to develop employability options through a wide range of work placements.
Students can also undertake Supported Internships, distance learning or study for additional vocational or academic courses in local further education colleges with ESPA College staff support.
Our learners are well supported by a multi-disciplinary team including counsellors, speech and language therapists, occupational therapy and a beavioural nurse specialist.
The College has a number of well-equipped specialist rooms at each of its sites to provide learners with the opportunity to develop their skills and interests. We have workshops for Horticulture and Woodwork; a newly equipped gym; contemporary kitchens and independence areas and well equipped music and media suites.
The College also offers health and social care funded provision for those individuals who have either completed their educational study programme; or where an education programme is not considered to be appropriate.
> Our expertise
We have expertise in meeting the needs of students with:
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Asperger syndrome
- Severe autism spectrum disorder
- Autism spectrum disorder with associated challenging behaviour
- Behavioural difficulties
- Emotional difficulties
- Mental health needs
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students who have specific learning difficulties
- Severe learning difficulties
> Our curriculum
- A programme to enable students to learn more about themselves and how to form relationships
- A programme to help students to look after themselves more independently
- Opportunities to attend local further education colleges with support
- Opportunities for work experience
- Opportunities to improve literacy, numeracy and/or communication skills
- Opportunities to develop strategies to promote appropriate behaviour
- A transition programme into supported or open employment
- Opportunities to take part in a wide range of social, leisure and sporting activities
> Our specialist services
- In-house speech and language therapy
- In-house psychology services
- In-house occupational therapy
- Specialist training to enable independent travel
- Guidance and counselling services
- Residential provision linked to the academic year
- Residential provision extending beyond the academic year