52-58 Arcola Street
- Telephone Number: 020 3198 0225
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://www.rsbc.org.uk/what-we-do/dorton-college-rsbcs-further-education-college.
RSBC Dorton College is an independent specialist day college for students with vision impairment, including those with additional needs.
Ofsted describes our “highly trained learning support team” who support and provide resources for the students, “so that students participate fully in challenging learning activities and complete work at high standards”. “Students become significantly more independent and self-reliant through good teaching and outstanding personal support.”
They are supported to be as independent as possible at all times, while at their partnership college placements and observe the RSBC ethos of 'Just Enough Support'. Ofsted says that, “students all participate in a range of activities that inspire and challenge them, and develop their organisation, planning and other work-related skills’.
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students who are blind or visually impaired
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with autism spectrum disorder
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with moderate learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with Asperger syndrome
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with emotional difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with communication difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with mental health needs
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with acquired brain injury
Students follow courses at local partnership colleges, offering both academic and vocational subjects enabling achievement of ambitions.
Additionally, our Jigsaw Curriculum, covering development of skills for work, independence, safety, emotional health and wellbeing is bespoke for individuals.
Students participate in work experience and RSBC’s employability programmes; following individual QTVI, IT and supported study sessions, including support for Maths and English and individualised therapy input.
- Opportunities to attend local further education colleges with support
- Comprehensive support in the learning and use of Braille and/or Moon
- A personal development programme
- Opportunities for students to participate in community activities and to learn about citizenship
- Opportunities for work experience
- Opportunities to explore a range of living options after college
- Opportunities to take part in a wide range of social, leisure and sporting activities
- A transition programme into independent living
RSBC Dorton College has a new base in Bromley, close to public transport links, subtly adapted to give students specialist learning opportunities, outside their partnership college placements.
It includes a wide range of adapted equipment, to develop independence with additional rooms for 1:1 sessions. Students have all academic work for their partnership college courses prepared by our highly specialist staff team, in their preferred medium, such as Braille, or preferred print or colour. This is ready in advance of their taught sessions, both at RSBC Dorton College and at their partnership colleges, to enable seamless integration.
Students to use the best technology solutions, both at our college base and the partnership colleges, to support learning, leisure, independence and social opportunities.
- Residential provision linked to the academic year
- Specialist orientation and mobility training to enable independent travel
- In-house occupational therapy
- A range of therapeutic services
- Extensive use of assistive and adaptive technologies
- Specialist staff to meet personal care requirements
- Help with finding suitable long term provision
- Registered with the Care Quality Commission / Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales