- Telephone Number: 01691 661234
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.derwen.ac.uk
Vocational and independence programmes building employability skills through real work experience
37 weeks per year
- Residential or
Residential and day
Main academic intake September, with other admissions each term
- Maximum Number of
Wrexham, Walford, Craven Arms
Awarded Ofsted 'Outstanding' at three consecutive inspections, Derwen provides rich learning environments for young people with many conditions, including: learning and physical disabilities, ASD, medical needs and behaviours of concern.
Our specialism is building employability skills through authentic work opportunities in hospitality and customer services in our commercial outlets and off-campus with our partners in the wider community.
Vocational options are designed to meet industry standards, preparing students for the job market and include Supported Internship opportunities.
Creative pathways and a pre-vocational pathway available for students not seeking vocational progression routes.
Individualised learning includes comprehensive personal development programmes. Students are supported to begin learning to care for themselves, shop, cook, develop road safety skills, extend their abilities in inter-personal relationships and take their place in society.
The main campus college is near Oswestry with satellites in Walford, north Shropshire; Craven Arms, south Shropshire; and Penley, Wales.
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with autism spectrum disorder with associated challenging behaviour
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with Asperger syndrome
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with severe learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with a wide range of physical disabilities
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with mental health needs
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with epilepsy and/or associated neurological conditions
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with communication difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with profound and multiple learning difficulties
Derwen challenges each student to be the best they can be. Individualised programmes include vocational and employability skill development alongside independence, health and well-being training. Learning takes place in real work settings supported by highly skilled staff. Students can gain relevant qualifications at appropriate levels and participate in extensive work experience programmes.
Hospitality and Customer Services -pathways in:
- Hospitality and Housekeeping
Foundation and Creative Studies - pathways in:
- Work skills
- Creative Studies
We also offer highly individualised programmes including land based, arts and sports at our satellite sites.
- Opportunities to experience real work situations
- Opportunities to follow vocational qualifications
- A personal development programme
- Opportunities to improve literacy, numeracy and/or communication skills
- Opportunities to improve and develop communication skills through the use of Alternative and Augmentative Communication aids
- Opportunities to take part in a wide range of social, leisure and sporting activities
- A transition programme into independent living
- A transition programme into supported or open employment
- In-house nursing services
- Residential living reflecting increasing independence
- Student leisure facilities, ICT suite, wi-fi café
- Sports complex with swimming pool, fitness suite, multi-purpose sports hall
- In-house physio, speech and language therapy, occupational therapy, psychology and counselling services
- A Makaton Centre of Excellence
- A range of therapeutic services
- In-house nursing services
- Specialist staff to meet personal care requirements
- Specialist training to enable independent travel
- Registered with the Care Quality Commission / Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales
- Guidance and counselling services
- Residential provision extending beyond the academic year
- Waking night residential staff