Address:Coleg Plas Dwbl
36 week or 52 week programmes
- Residential or
Residential and Day
- Maximum Number of
16 - 30
Coleg Plas Dwbl has developed expertise working with young people aged 16-30 with complex behaviour and learning difficulties and disabilities, including autistic spectrum conditions, whose needs cannot be met elsewhere. Our provision offers both day and residential placements. Admissions are accepted all-year round.
Coleg Plas Dwbl offers a rich and varied curriculum developing exciting opportunities to develop communication, social, work and living skills. Activities include practical land-based and traditional craft activities, animal husbandry, forestry, horticulture, catering and drama with social, communication and functional skills embedded throughout the day and residential curriculum.
Students help to work the 100-acre biodynamic farm producing, harvesting and preparing healthy organic food, and supplying local outlets. The college also offers a range of arts and crafts that include working directly with craftspeople in their workshops, as well as a unique opportunity to interact with the surrounding Pembrokeshire Coast National Park. Courses are accredited through the Regulated Qualifications Framework and students will also prepare for work competency through a wide range of internal and external work experience. Qualifications include Agored Cymru, LANTRA Awards and the Welsh Baccalaureate.
Coleg Plas Dwbl is set in 100 acres of biodynamic farm, the college offers craft, land-based and work skills on site with work experience in the locality and with the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park. Specilist subject area's include; Biodynamc Farming, Horticulture, Green Wood Work, Iron Age Forge, Pottery, Performing Arts, Catering, Biodynamic Gardening, Bee Keeping, History of Art, Wool Felting and Basket Weaving.
Plas Dwbl offer a inhouse Speech and Language Therapist, specialist tutors and teachers, highly trained support staff, dedicated pastoral care and a 24 hour residential curriculum and care staff.
Plas Dwbl have 6 offsite residential houses set in the Pembrokeshire National Park - offering a 24 hour residential curriculum. The residential provision is on a domestic scale and fully integrated into the day-time provision.
> Our expertise
We have expertise in meeting the needs of students with:
- Asperger syndrome
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Autism spectrum disorder with associated challenging behaviour
- Behavioural difficulties
- Emotional difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students who have been affected by abuse or personal trauma
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students who have specific learning difficulties
- Communication difficulties
> Our curriculum
- A specialised land-based curriculum
- A programme to enable students to learn more about themselves and how to form relationships
- Opportunities for students to participate in community activities and to learn about citizenship
- A programme to help students to look after themselves more independently
- Opportunities to prepare for work after college
- Opportunities for work experience
- Opportunities to develop strategies to promote appropriate behaviour
- A transition programme into independent living
> Our specialist services
- In-house speech and language therapy
- A range of therapeutic services
- Sessions to improve posture and mobility
- Specialist training to enable independent travel
- Help with finding suitable long term provision
- Registered with the Care Quality Commission / Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales
- Residential provision linked to the academic year
- Residential provision extending beyond the academic year