Address:Coleg Plas Dwbl
Residential and day
Referrals are taken all year round
16 – 25
- Telephone Number: 01994 419420
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: https://www.rmt.org/plasdwbl/
Coleg Plas Dwbl is an independent specialist college for young adults with learning difficulties, associated behavioural issues and disabilities. As part of Ruskin Mill Trust, our students receive our unique Practical Skills Therapeutic Education - a craft and land-based curriculum. We aim to teach our young people valuable, transferable life skills towards independence, which allows them to access further education, supported living accommodation, and/or work.
We offer day and residential placements to learners aged 16-25 and accept referrals throughout the year.
Gateway to Independence programmes are now available for leavers 19+ years of age.
Our staff body has a wealth of experience of working with young people with learning difficulties, such as autism, ASD, ADHD, Asperger’s Syndrome, as well as behavioural and mental health issues.
Nationwide and International students
Coleg Plas Dwbl offers a rich and varied curriculum developing exciting opportunities to develop communication, social, work and living skills. Activities include practical land-based and traditional craft activities, animal husbandry, forestry, horticulture, catering and drama with social, communication and functional skills embedded throughout the day and residential curriculum.
Students help to work the 100-acre biodynamic farm producing, harvesting and preparing healthy organic food, and supplying local outlets. The college also offers a range of arts and crafts that include working directly with craftspeople in their workshops, as well as a unique opportunity to interact with the surrounding Pembrokeshire Coast National Park. Courses are accredited through the Regulated Qualifications Framework and students will also prepare for work competency through a wide range of internal and external work experience. Qualifications include Agored Cymru, LANTRA Awards and the Welsh Baccalaureate.
Coleg Plas Dwbl is set in 100 acres of biodynamic farm, the college offers craft, land-based and work skills on site with work experience in the locality and with the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park. Specilist subject area's include; Biodynamc Farming, Horticulture, Green Wood Work, Iron Age Forge, Pottery, Performing Arts, Catering, Biodynamic Gardening, Bee Keeping, History of Art, Wool Felting and Basket Weaving.
Plas Dwbl offer a inhouse Speech and Language Therapist, specialist tutors and teachers, highly trained support staff, dedicated pastoral care and a 24 hour residential curriculum and care staff.
Plas Dwbl have 6 offsite residential houses set in the Pembrokeshire National Park - offering a 24 hour residential curriculum. The residential provision is on a domestic scale and fully integrated into the day-time provision.
At Coleg Plas Dwbl we encourage and support young people to contribute towards social and community based activities, which take place throughout the academic year including seasonal festivals. For those looking to enrich their extracurricular experiences the college also offers a range of social and cultural activities such as bowling, cinema, sports clubs, meals out or at other Team Houses, with the aim of encouraging socialisation, growing self-esteem and having fun.
Comprehensive staff training and development opportunities will guide professionals through the Ruskin Mill Trust set of core values, vision, purpose and methodology
> Our expertise
We have expertise in meeting the needs of students with:
- Asperger syndrome
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Severe autism spectrum disorder
- Autism spectrum disorder with associated challenging behaviour
- Behavioural difficulties
- Emotional difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students who have been affected by abuse or personal trauma
- Mental health needs
- Moderate learning difficulties
- Severe learning difficulties
- Profound and multiple learning difficulties
- Epilepsy and/or associated neurological conditions
- Multi-sensory impairment
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students who have specific learning difficulties
- Communication difficulties
- Prader-Willi syndrome
> Our curriculum
- Opportunities to follow vocational courses
- Opportunities to follow vocational qualifications
- A performing arts curriculum
- A specialised land-based curriculum
- A hospitality and catering curriculum
- A personal development programme
- A social skills programme
- A programme to enable students to learn more about themselves and how to form relationships
- Opportunities for students to participate in community activities and to learn about citizenship
- Opportunities to prepare for further training after college
- Opportunities to explore a range of living options after college
- A programme to help students to look after themselves more independently
- Opportunities to prepare for work after college
- Opportunities to experience real work situations
- Opportunities for work experience
- Opportunities to improve literacy, numeracy and/or communication skills
- Opportunities to develop strategies to promote appropriate behaviour
- Opportunities to experiment with sound, touch, smell and sight in order to aid learning
- A transition programme into independent living
- A transition programme into supported or open employment
- Opportunities to take part in a wide range of social, leisure and sporting activities
> Our specialist services
- In-house speech and language therapy
- A range of therapeutic services
- In-house psychology services
- Sessions to improve posture and mobility
- Specialist orientation and mobility training to enable independent travel
- Specialist training to enable independent travel
- Guidance and counselling services
- Help with finding suitable long term provision
- Waking night residential staff
- Registered with the Care Quality Commission / Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales
- Residential provision linked to the academic year
- Residential provision extending beyond the academic year