Address:Cambian Pengwern College
Residential and day
Any time (although usually September)
16 – 25
- Telephone Number: 01745 592300
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: https://www.cambiangroup.com/specialist-education/our-colleges/autism-colleges/cambian-pengwern-college/
Typical Student Profile
- Age 16 - 25 years
- Mixed Gender
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Moderate to Severe Learning Disabilities
- Complex Needs
- Commuincation Difficulties
- Development Disorders
- Challenging Behaviour
- A broad range of complex needs including medical needs
Cambian Pengwern College offers various opportunities for external accreditation through the Qualifications and Credits Framework (QCF).
We provide flexible routes to full qualifications and offer units of study from pre-entry to entry level 3, leading to awards, certificates and diplomas.
The QCF is a key component in our work to help young people with a learning disability gain life skills. Self-esteem is essential to young people progressing into adulthood encouraging a passion for learning and broadening their horizons. By offering the opportunity to undertake nationally recognised vocational qualifications, we help young people gain confidence and to lead socially active and engaged lives.
We also offer options to improve literacy, numeracy and/or communication skills, such as the use of Makaton, communication in print, Grid player and Proloquo2go, with additional opportunities for work experience.
Learners are encouraged and supported to express their views on the things that are important to them about college life. Their input shapes the curriculum, staff recruitment, opportunities for personal development and the support they receive. This is achieved through learner tutorials comprising 1:1 meetings to discuss anything related to college life, on and off-site advocacy services and the Principal’s cards used for questions, comments or concerns.
Subjects and opportunities include:
- Hospitality and Catering
- Art, Craft and Design
- Information Technology
- Essential Skills
- Community Sports
- Animal Care
Cambian Pengwern College is set in 23 acres of beautiful North Wales countryside near the historic village of Rhuddlan, close to the popular resort towns of Prestatyn and Llandudno. The college benefits from good rail / bus links and road networks.
We understand that residential colleges can never replace home but we make every effort to create a welcoming, family environment where learners feel safe and comfortable.
Our accommodation provides the necessary step between leaving home and community living that most young adults take during their transition to adulthood.
Learners live close to the college, and as their confidence and independence grows they are able to progress through the range of residential settings available at the college.
We encourage learners to personalise their bedrooms with posters and photos and take responsibility for keeping their rooms tidy.
At some point during their course, learners will have the opportunity to experience community living as part of their 'Moving On' plan. This enables them to optimise their potential for moving on to supported living after college.
On-site facilities include:
✓ ICT Suites
✓ Animal care centre
✓ Campus shop
✓ Outdoor classroom
All students follow an individualised programme of practical life skills development within real–life, supported living and community environments, with the aim of developing independence skills such as personal care, cooking, shopping, cleaning, laundry, travel training and community awareness.
Cambian Pengwern College provides a total communication environment that enables all learners to reach their potential, both in expressing themselves and understanding others. The college creates a supportive and effective communication environment, valuing all means of communication equally.
There is strong emphasis on the use of visual information to promote learner choice, control and autonomy. The provision of accessible information throughout the college, such as pictorial timetables and visual time lines facilitates learners’ independence across the curriculum.
> Our expertise
We have expertise in meeting the needs of students with:
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Autism spectrum disorder with associated challenging behaviour
- Behavioural difficulties
- Moderate learning difficulties
- Severe learning difficulties
- Profound and multiple learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students who have specific learning difficulties
- Communication difficulties
> Our curriculum
- Opportunities to follow vocational courses
- Opportunities to follow vocational qualifications
- Opportunities for students to participate in community activities and to learn about citizenship
- Opportunities to prepare for further training after college
- Opportunities to explore a range of living options after college
- Opportunities to use and develop information technology skills
- Opportunities to develop strategies to promote appropriate behaviour
- A programme to help students to look after themselves more independently
- Opportunities to take part in a wide range of social, leisure and sporting activities
- Opportunities to improve communication skills such as the use of Makaton, Bliss, symbols or objects of reference
- Opportunities to experiment with sound, touch, smell and sight in order to aid learning
- Opportunities to improve literacy, numeracy and/or communication skills
- Opportunities to improve and develop communication skills through the use of Alternative and Augmentative Communication aids
- Opportunities to experience real work situations
- Opportunities for work experience
- Opportunities to prepare for work after college
- Opportunities to attend local further education colleges with support
- A specialised land-based curriculum
- A personal development programme
- A social skills programme
- A hospitality and catering curriculum
- A transition programme into independent living
> Our specialist services
- In-house speech and language therapy
- A range of therapeutic services
- In-house occupational therapy
- In-house psychology services
- In-house physiotherapy
- Specialist staff to meet personal care requirements
- Help with finding suitable long term provision
- Residential provision linked to the academic year
- Registered with the Care Quality Commission / Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales
- Waking night residential staff
- In-house medical provision
- Specialist training to enable independent travel