- Telephone Number: 01434 632692
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://www.cambiangroup.com
Specialist further education college for young people with learning difficulties/disabilities, autism and complex needs
From 38 weeks to 52 weeks per year
- Residential or
Residential and day
Mainly September but throughout the academic year if places are available
- Maximum Number of
16 - 25 years
Cambian Dilston College provides further education for learners with moderate to severe learning disabilities including autism, complex medical needs, developmental disorders, behavioural/emotional difficulties and communication difficulties. Cambian Dilston College offers a wide range of specialist interventions, tailored approaches and proactive options for learning including providing a total communication environment. We also offer short breaks and outreach placements.
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with severe learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with behavioural difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with autism spectrum disorder
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students who have specific learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with moderate learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with emotional difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with communication difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with epilepsy and/or associated neurological conditions
At Cambian Dilston College there is the opportunity for all learners to participate in a full and active curriculum including flexible routes to accredited qualifications from pre-entry to Level 2. The launch of our new study programmes offers three distinct routes to learning: Skills for Work; Skills for Independence; Skills for Communication and Wellbeing. There are five strands of curriculum: Physical Wellbeing; Emotional Wellbeing; Citizenship; Functional Skills; Preparation for Transition. All study programme pathways and curriculum areas are holistically underpinned by the RARPA (Recognising and Recording Progress and Achievement) principles. As part of their course, learners are offered the opportunity of work experience supported by a dedicated Job Coach. Work experience placements continue throughout the year allowing learners time to prepare and settle into their placement and apply learning from their college course to the work environment.
- A programme to help students to look after themselves more independently
- Opportunities to develop strategies to promote appropriate behaviour
- A transition programme into supported or open employment
- A transition programme into independent living
- Opportunities to experience real work situations
- Opportunities for students to participate in community activities and to learn about citizenship
- Opportunities to follow vocational courses
- Opportunities to improve literacy, numeracy and/or communication skills
Cambian Dilston College is set in beautiful countryside, providing a range of vocational learning environments including working café and bakery, vocational learning kitchen, horticulture and estates management, forest school, workshops for pottery and woodwork, ICT, creative arts including drama. Our Sensory room offers learners a place where they can fully relax and increase or decrease their sensory experience.
Off-site work experience facilities include a refreshments kiosk in the local train station, community café and lunch clubs.
Accommodation on- and off-site, includes a superb community house that encourages community living.
- In-house speech and language therapy
- In-house occupational therapy
- A range of therapeutic services
- Specialist orientation and mobility training to enable independent travel
- Specialist staff to meet personal care requirements
- Waking night residential staff
- Residential provision extending beyond the academic year
- Registered with the Care Quality Commission / Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales