323-325 Crompton Way
- Telephone Number: 01204 602330
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.birtenshaw.org.uk
Birtenshaw College provides specialist further education for learners aged between 16 and 25 with disabilities.
- Residential or
Term dates 2017-2018 4 September 2017- 20 July 2018
- Maximum Number of
Birtenshaw College provides specialist further education for young people aged between 16 and 25 with physical disability, including complex health needs and / or learning disability, including Autism Spectrum Conditions.
The College was established in 2014 initially in partnership with Bolton College in response to the lack of local further education opportunities for young adults with a disability who are over the age of 19 and have difficulty in accessing mainstream college courses because of the level of support they need.
The college achieved independent status in Summer 2016 which provided the opportunity to offer a wider range of courses to a greater range of people, working with local authorities across the North West.
Birtenshaw College provides a unique further education opportunity to young adults with a disability, providing a structured programme which works to develop skills for independent living, literacy and numeracy and work-based vocational skills, and offers therapeutic learning activities.
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with a wide range of physical disabilities
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with autism spectrum disorder with associated challenging behaviour
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with profound and multiple learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with epilepsy and/or associated neurological conditions
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with communication difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students who are blind or visually impaired
- Expertise in meeting the needs of d/Deaf students
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with behavioural difficulties
The Birtenshaw College curriculum is structured around our Total Communication approach where we view every behaviour as communication and work to ensure that we understand what the young person wants or needs and provide effectively to meet those needs.
Each student will access an individualised study programme delivered by qualified staff who are trained and experienced to meet the specific requirements of young adults with the most complex of needs.
Study programmes are accessible, motivating and are delivered at a level that will include progression and may lead to accreditation.
- A personal development programme
- A programme to enable students to learn more about themselves and how to form relationships
- Opportunities to improve literacy, numeracy and/or communication skills
- A programme to help students to look after themselves more independently
- Opportunities to experiment with sound, touch, smell and sight in order to aid learning
- Opportunities to take part in a wide range of social, leisure and sporting activities
- A specialised land-based curriculum
- Opportunities to follow vocational qualifications
Birtenshaw College is a fully accessible and autism-friendly college for young adults with a disability .
Facilities at the College are tailored to ensure that young adults with a disability receive the same access to social, education and work opportunities as other young adults with every learner receiving an individually tailored study programme.
The College is set in spacious grounds which cater for land-based activities providing opportunities for outdoor learning through horticulture, animal care, habitat management and small-scale woodwork.
The college has a catering kitchen and small community café enabling learners to access a range of work related learning activities on and away from the college site.
- Specialist staff to meet personal care requirements
- A range of therapeutic services
- Sessions to improve posture and mobility
- Extensive use of assistive and adaptive technologies
- In-house medical provision
- Residential provision linked to the academic year