40 Derby Road
Residential and day
Usually September, although admissions can take place through the year
16 – 25
- Telephone Number: 01704564463
- Email Address: ArdenCollege@priorygroup.com
- Website: https://www.priorychildrensservices.co.uk/
Located in the heart of Southport, Arden College provides day and residential provision for students with learning difficulties and disabilities and/or behavioural and social difficulties.
The college accepts students from across the UK, although the majority are from the North West
Learners at Arden College are given access to a range of nationally recognised qualifications, independent living skills, vocational training, and social and leisure development opportunities. The college also offers a wide range of work experience placements, which may lead to either paid or voluntary work.
Residential students participate in an extended curriculum, which provides opportunities to further develop independent living skills in practical situations within the home. Social and community skills are also developed through living with a peer group and accessing leisure opportunities in the local area and beyond.
For learners with complex needs there is a sensory curriculum, which aims to provide a range of learning experiences which will maximise the student's ability to experience, engage with and participate in activities.
Arden College has specialised classrooms for a range of subjects including art, music and ICT, as well as dedicated areas for catering and horticulture. For those students who benefit from a quieter environment there is a wing of the college which includes the sensory room and base rooms.
The college has a cafe that is open to the public, in which students can gain experience serving customers and preparing meals to order. There is also a salon where students can develop skills related to hair, beauty and men's health.
Residential provision is located in a number of small homes around Southport, with between three and five students in each. All students have their own bedroom whilst areas such as kitchens and lounges are shared.
> Our expertise
We have expertise in meeting the needs of students with:
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Severe autism spectrum disorder
- Autism spectrum disorder with associated challenging behaviour
- Behavioural difficulties
- Emotional difficulties
- Moderate learning difficulties
- Severe learning difficulties
- Profound and multiple learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students who have specific learning difficulties
- Communication difficulties
> Our curriculum
- Opportunities to follow vocational courses
- Opportunities to follow vocational qualifications
- A personal development programme
- Opportunities for students to participate in community activities and to learn about citizenship
- Opportunities to prepare for further training after college
- Opportunities to explore a range of living options after college
- A programme to help students to look after themselves more independently
- Opportunities to prepare for work after college
- Opportunities for work experience
- Opportunities to improve literacy, numeracy and/or communication skills
- Opportunities to develop strategies to promote appropriate behaviour
- Opportunities to improve and develop communication skills through the use of Alternative and Augmentative Communication aids
- Opportunities to experiment with sound, touch, smell and sight in order to aid learning
- Opportunities to take part in a wide range of social, leisure and sporting activities
> Our specialist services
- In-house speech and language therapy
- In-house occupational therapy
- Specialist training to enable independent travel
- Help with finding suitable long term provision
- Specialist staff to meet personal care requirements
- Waking night residential staff
- Residential provision extending beyond the academic year