40 Derby Road
- Telephone Number: 01704 534433
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://www.priorygroup.com
Specialist college supporting vocational training and the development of communication and independent living skills
38 and 52 week, full and part-time placements
- Residential or
Residential and day
Enrolment usually in September
- Maximum Number of
16 - 25 years
Located in the heart of Southport, Arden College provides day and residential provision for students with learning difficulties and disabilities and/or behavioural and social difficulties.
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with autism spectrum disorder
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with autism spectrum disorder with associated challenging behaviour
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with behavioural difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with emotional difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with moderate learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with severe learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with profound and multiple learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with communication difficulties
Learners at Arden College are given access to a range of nationally recognised qualifications, independent living skills, vocational training, and social and leisure development opportunities. The college also offers a wide range of work experience placements, which may lead to either paid or voluntary work.
Residential students participate in an extended curriculum, which provides opportunities to further develop independent living skills in practical situations within the home. Social and community skills are also developed through living with a peer group and accessing leisure opportunities in the local area and beyond.
For learners with complex needs there is a sensory curriculum, which aims to provide a range of learning experiences which will maximise the student's ability to experience, engage with and participate in activities.
- Opportunities to follow vocational qualifications
- A programme to help students to look after themselves more independently
- Opportunities for work experience
- Opportunities to improve literacy, numeracy and/or communication skills
- Opportunities to develop strategies to promote appropriate behaviour
- Opportunities to improve and develop communication skills through the use of Alternative and Augmentative Communication aids
- Opportunities to experiment with sound, touch, smell and sight in order to aid learning
- Opportunities to take part in a wide range of social, leisure and sporting activities
Arden College has specialised classrooms for a range of subjects including art, music and ICT, as well as dedicated areas for catering and horticulture. For those students who benefit from a quieter environment there is a wing of the college which includes the sensory room and base rooms.
The college has a cafe that is open to the public, in which students can gain experience serving customers and preparing meals to order. There is also a salon where students can develop skills related to hair, beauty and men's health.
Residential provision is located in a number of small homes around Southport, with between three and five students in each. All students have their own bedroom whilst areas such as kitchens and lounges are shared.
- In-house speech and language therapy
- Specialist training to enable independent travel
- Specialist staff to meet personal care requirements
- Waking night residential staff
- Residential provision extending beyond the academic year