Pears Campus at The College of Haringey, Enfield and North East London
Town Hall Approach Road
40 weeks per year
- Residential or
September to July
- Maximum Number of
46 – across two campuses
16 - 25 years
West London Campus, c/o West Thames College, London Road, Isleworth, TW7 4HS
- Telephone Number: 020 3870 8775
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.ambitiouscollege.org.uk
Ambitious College is London’s only registered specialist college dedicated specifically to supporting young people with complex autism into adult life.
We enable learners to gain the knowledge and skills needed to transition successfully to adulthood and to live, work and contribute in their community.
Our learners are at the heart of everything we do, their curriculum is highly personalised to help them achieve their goals. It is delivered by our very skilled and friendly staff. We offer lots of opportunities to learn in the community through partnerships with local employers, services and our mainstream college partners.
Ambitious College is run by Ambitious about Autism, the national charity for children and young people with autism.
Ambitious College is here to support young people with autism to achieve the life they want. To do this we follow the four pathways developed by Preparing for Adulthood: employment, independent living, community inclusion, and health.
Learners access each of the four pathways. How much they access from each is dependent on what they want to do after college. Functional skills such as communication, literacy, numeracy and ICT are developed throughout the entire curriculum. We support our learners to acquire these skills through ‘doing’ rather than a more traditional classroom-based model as we have seen that is how they learn best.
We use Positive Behaviour Support as our approach to help our learners acquire new skills and participate in everyday life.
Our learners benefit from a trans-disciplinary team that includes qualified teachers, speech and language therapists, occupational therapists and learning and behaviour specialists.
The college is co-located with a mainstream general further education college. This allows us to extend the range of facilities we offer our learners.
Within Ambitious College there is access to quiet rooms and a multisensory room.
> Our expertise
We have expertise in meeting the needs of students with:
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Severe autism spectrum disorder
- Autism spectrum disorder with associated challenging behaviour
- Severe learning difficulties
- Communication difficulties
- Moderate learning difficulties
- Epilepsy and/or associated neurological conditions
> Our curriculum
- Opportunities to follow vocational courses
- Opportunities to attend local further education colleges with support
- Opportunities for students to participate in community activities and to learn about citizenship
- Opportunities to improve literacy, numeracy and/or communication skills
- Opportunities to develop strategies to promote appropriate behaviour
- A transition programme into independent living
- A transition programme into supported or open employment
> Our specialist services
- In-house speech and language therapy
- In-house occupational therapy
- Specialist staff to meet personal care requirements
- Specialist training to enable independent travel