- Telephone Number: 01937 842144
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.stjohns.org.uk
St John’s Catholic School is a centre of excellence for students with sensory and communication needs.
- Residential or
Residential and day
Courses start in September, however we may be able to accommodate new starters throughout the year dependent on programme choice.
- Maximum Number of
30 (sixth form only)
St John’s is a non-maintained special school for students aged 4 – 19. We are school where spoken language is used across the curriculum and where every young person communicates equally and successfully with others. Students in our well-established sixth form participate in programmes of study at local FE colleges where they are supported by qualified and experienced learning mentors and specialist teachers. The school is based in Boston Spa, which lies between York and Leeds.
The school’s extensive buildings are well-equipped, housing a gym with specialist fitness equipment, a purpose built theatre and sound recording suite, a fully stocked library, an IT suite and a number of sensory rooms. The grounds are perfect for sports and leisure activities, with marked pitches and a newly developed sensory garden.
- Expertise in meeting the needs of d/Deaf students
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with multi-sensory impairment
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with communication difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with moderate learning difficulties
- Expertise in meeting the needs of students with a wide range of physical disabilities
Our sixth form offers students the opportunity to study a wide range of academic and vocational courses linked to either York or Askham Bryan College. Students have full time support from learning mentors who are trained to support the communication needs of deaf people. Linking with mainstream colleges helps students build wider friendship groups and offers new social opportunities.
The sixth form residential setting provides a full life skills programme which is accessible for young people with a range of additional needs. By the end of their time at St John’s, students have well-developed independence skills for adult life. Students learn to budget, cook, plan their own social lives and travel independently. We also help students to pass their driving tests by arranging driving lessons and providing driving theory tutorials.
By the time students leave St John’s sixth form they are well-equipped to go on into employment, further or higher education. They have the social and communication skills to participate in the wider world.
- Opportunities to follow vocational courses
- Opportunities for work experience
- Opportunities to take part in a wide range of social, leisure and sporting activities
- Opportunities to develop strategies to promote appropriate behaviour
- Opportunities to improve literacy, numeracy and/or communication skills
Students’ communication needs are supported by a team of specialist speech and language therapists who plan and deliver individual programmes. Sixth form work includes sessions on subject specific vocabulary and discussion relevant to young adults.
Hearing aids and cochlear implants are checked and maintained by our school audiologist. She can replace faulty equipment to ensure that students do not miss valuable learning time.
There is a strong focus on physical and emotional well –being. The pastoral team, which includes a school nurse, manage students’ medical needs. The team also promotes healthy and active lifestyles and works with students to develop good social relationships and online safety. The school has excellent links with the Deaf Child and Adolescent Mental Health team, who have a base in the school.
- Residential provision linked to the academic year
- In-house speech and language therapy
- A range of therapeutic services
- Specialist training to enable independent travel
- Guidance and counselling services
- In-house medical provision