A two-session online interactive course for managers who are developing a new curriculum, or reviewing and refreshing an existing curriculum, for learners with Profound and Multiple Learning Disabilities (PMLD) aged 16-25. We use the term PMLD to describe learners with profound cognitive impairments who will be at the very earliest stages of cognition and communication.
This course will help you to shape a PMLD curriculum that supports good quality of life outcomes through focusing on person-centred approaches and preparation for adulthood. The course will be interactive and include practical activities to try out between the two sessions. To get the most out of this course you will need to do some pre-reading before each session.
Session one: curriculum intent (8 February)
Creating a meaningful personalised curriculum through enabling the learner voice. In this session there will be opportunities to:
- consider the values that underpin the intent of a PMLD curriculum
- explore through self-audit where you are now with developing personalised study programmes and where you need to get to
- examine the four Preparing for Adulthood pathways as a basis for the curriculum
- discuss what ‘quality of life’ means for this cohort of learners
- review how the learner voice is heard and acted upon in the implementation of the curriculum
- look at how to use person-centred thinking tools in developing a personalised curriculum.
Session two: curriculum implementation (7 March)
Implementing and measuring the impact of a person-centred curriculum. In this session there will be opportunities to:
- consider the importance of transition planning from the start
- discuss what is meant by ‘student-led’ learning
- check learning opportunities link to learner aspirations and long-term outcomes
- identify key factors for a successful transition from college to adult life
- examine the role of trans-disciplinary working in a PMLD curriculum
- consider assessment, progress and setting of targets
- look at the Natspec Preparing for Adulthood profile document and how it can be adapted and personalised for learners.
This training is also available as an in-house programme. For further information please complete our Transform Expression of Interest form.
Details of other training courses offered by Natspec Transform can be found on our website.
Book your place
If you’d like to attend to this course, information about the cost and booking are available on the session one page.